Hypothetical question (Embedded or LTSC) 2019-10-02

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by RideTheLightning, Oct 2, 2019.

1. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I've been ON and OFF with this lately but now I want to ask you guys something.

Could there be problems with installing Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Enterprise on this system:

ASUS Z370-A
    i7 8700K
    Nvidia 1070
    16GB RAM

I'm using LTSC 2019 today, it's OK, nothing more and nothing less. My Windows 10 experience have been something similar to the Enron ride, up and downs (mostly downs)

I really miss Windows 8.1 and people say Embedded is like Windows 8.1 LTSB/LTSC but I doubt my system would run it well (driver issues and such)

Just tell it to me, hypothetically, do this OS have any chance or am I stuck with LTSC 2019?

2. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    I used Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Enterprise and Pro(mainly) on 8th gen B360/i3 8300. They are like ltsc, none of the crap. Windows Update does get blocked but you can use the zeffy patch. 8.1(any edition) on Coffee Lake makes for a good pc. :)

You dont need to slipstream usb3 drivers for 8.1 on CL cos 8.1 has native drivers and intel dont do them. Use the chipset inf installer and away you go.

3. RideTheLightning

Sep 20, 2018
    Thanks for your input, so it's not impossible then?

What about chipset and Management Engine drivers, do you think those would work to?
    And could you use cumulative updates (roll up updates) from regular Windows 8.1 in Embedded?

EDIT:

My gaming PC is completely offline so any updates comes from my Laptop which I then include in a Software .iso after clean installation of the OS.

4. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Far from impossible, load your 8.1 dvd or run from usb, the chipset inf and IME drivers install, the only thing that isnt supported is the igpu, no driver :( but if you have a gpu card(as you do) that isnt an issue. Its been a while since i ran 8.1 so ive forgotten a lot, others will be able to help with updates.

5. RideTheLightning

Sep 20, 2018
    OK, OK I'm starting to get the itch to try this out but one final thing. Nvidias latest drivers still seems to have Windows 8.1 x64 as an option, do you think installing Embedded will refuse to install the GPU driver?

From my past experiences with Server OS's this could probably oppose to be a problem.

6. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    i was running a gt 710 from the installer and from extracted files with device manager.
    unlike problems with xp server derivatives no problems at all with software on embedded industry pro. :)

scratch that itch baby :D

7. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @abbodi1406 has a file that takes care of telemetry. its like w7 cos it doesnt have the full bore telemetry of w10 and its easy to silence, abbodis own words :worthy:

8. RideTheLightning

Sep 20, 2018
    Thanks, I will definitely consider Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Enterprise the next time I reinstall my computer.
    I remember Windows 8.1 to be a solid OS with little to none issues back in the day, can't say the same for Windows 10 and all it's sub-releases.

Sure it's not unstable, but there is issues. Sometimes even to this day clicking This PC will not bring up Explorer until I click the Start button. Never happened on 8.1 and lower.

As for telemetry I don't care, my machine is offline so it's not relevant.

9. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    I used Pro and its nigh on the same as regular pro(minus some crap). got mine from theeye.eu, activate with abbodis kms vl all smart activation script.

10. RideTheLightning

Sep 20, 2018
    Well, got the .iso for 8.1 Embedded Enterprise now at least completed so I have to download rest of the stuff another day.
    Thank you very much for taking your time answering my questions, I really appreciate it!

11. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    8.1 is unfairly overlooked and judged by windows 8, its a decent os. :)

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #13 Tiger-1, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Hi well You can quietly install this OS smoothly; If you try to deepen to know what has "inside" him and what does not have you then will come to the conclusion that really is a kind of LTSB/LTSC I myself already use for a long time and according to the results of several benchmarks the W 8.1EIE was that always came out in the front is enough for you to look at my signature...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #14 rayleigh_otter, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    @RideTheLightning Offline workstation? Ive got some tweaks you may be interested in. Gotta remember where i put the bloody things. @Tiger-1 may be interested too.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    Can install quietly, you will not regret...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    #16 AeonX, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Everything you do in 8.1 Pro you can do in exactly the same way in Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro or Enterprise whether it is installing drivers, updates or programs. It is not like Embedded Standard 7 or Embedded 8 Industry Standard that are componentized. Even in these editions you get most of the same things only updates I'm not sure if are the same.

This is 8.1 without Metro Apps but if I'm not mistaken this has the Store.

If you prefer you can install 8.1 Pro and use MSMG Toolkit to remove all bloatware including the Store. Use version 8.8 which is latest compatible with Win8.1.

16. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #17 rayleigh_otter, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    AeonX Embedded 8.1 Industry X and X have store but not the apps, space saving :). Certain someone here recommended it. Those 2 are the most LTSB/C like. Barebone the services and scheduled tasks(both in my tweak pack), tweak the rest to buggery to stop all the hogging and logging and its very well behaved. Scheduled tasks will suit everyone, bareboned services may suit RideTheLightning

Added 8.1 tweak pack link to my signature.

17. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Yes I just commented on the Store because LTSC doesn't have it. And I think some programs like Photos and Camera are not provisioned apps so they are also present. I particularly prefer to use a conventional version like Pro and remove what I don't need as I will have to do it anyway :p

The other advantage of LTSB/LTSC is having long support and not receiving feature updates every 6 months which makes no sense talking in Win8.1 that doesn't even have feature update.

18. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #19 rayleigh_otter, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    The only store app i needed with LTSC is that bloody intel control panel which someone kindly downloaded for me and gave me instructions how to install which i followed and then didnt effing well work, :moon:intel:tongue2: Thank god for dell that has an older driver with control panel for LTSC and CEW for the biostar driver for 7 which works fine and may have a driver for 8.1, im praying like buggery.

No silly feature updates every 6 months? GREAT. 7 and 8.1's features are set in stone and that makes it easy for everyone.

The only real bugger with LTSB/C is telemetry :moon: MS :tongue2: and airgapping sorts that out.

19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Good news :)