I´ve got a Win 7 pr upgrade disk for a HP 6735b with serial is it possible..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mortican, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Mortican

Mortican MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    #1 Mortican, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    to install it on a HP c311? The c311 has WIn XP home and the upgrade disk is for a HP 6735 b with Vista business. I have created a bootable USB and copied the files from de upgrade disk. It´s possible to boot from the stick and I can choose Custom installation. Do you think that HP had put in some other check or that the serial doesn´t work?

2. Ron1958

Ron1958 MDL Junior Member

Feb 21, 2010
    You most likely don't have the slc 2.1 in your Bios for it to work.

3. Mortican

Mortican MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    BUt this is not a recovery cd. It´s a disk from the upgrade program when I bought the 6735b I was entitled to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 for free. I have a serial for it on the back of the cover.

4. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I did this with an upgrade disk for a Compaq C60. Installed it on a older Compaq laptop after I modded the BIOS and used the key on the CD jacket to activate online. I haven't tried to install on another computer so I don't know if it can be used on more than one laptop.

5. Mortican

Mortican MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    Why do I have to mod hte BIOS? The serial won´t be a problem because I haven´t used it on the other computer.

6. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    I am not sure if the BIOS has to be modded, that is just the way I did it. I say just install it and see if you can activate it. I might add that what I did because I didn't want to lose my XP stuff I upgraded to Vista first and then used the upgrade disk to upgrade Vista to Windows 7. If you don't mind losing the XP stuff I would just backup the data and do a clean install of 7. Hope this helps.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Of course, the serial will work on WHATEVER you install it. It is retail key!
    No need for any mods (what a silly advice bluecatfish!)

sebus

8. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009

9. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    No need for slic 2.1 in bios for uppgrade keys. Only oem-slp need slic 2.1 table. Uppgrade disk need online activation by web or phone. Like retail and non-slp. You can use your wich computer you want.

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #10 Rosco, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    It ain't necessarily so

My partner's HP upgrade kit included 2 disks - the first prepared for the upgrade including flashing the BIOS to SLIC 2.1, backing up etc and then using the Win 7 install disk to upgrade. The key installed was an OEM SLP key.

Of course this won't apply unless the original computer qualified for an upgrade to 7 and an older XP one won't but I thought it relevant to note that HP upgrades do use OEM SLP upgrades including BIOS flashing programs on the preparation disk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...