I am convinced I am not alone

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Blind_Faith, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    I have been reading this forum all over but I can't find a clear answer.

Maybe I am late in facing this problem..

I have an old laptop, twin tablet Acer Iconia, It did pretty well until 1511 but the next updates killed the touch function. I was satisfied with it until MSFT decided I could not keep it at 1511.

It just reinstalled 4 times and I keep rolling it back.

Anything I can do?

I am thinking of pointing it to a dummy WSUS.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    To what windows 10 build are you upgrading and by WU or ISO or what?

3. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    The machine is running W10 Pro from standard WU cycle. It started as W7 or W8.1 and was upgraded automatically up the ladder.

When 1607 came up the touch stop working, I rolled it back to 1511, the same happened for 1703.

Now MSFT won't take no for an answer

In short I would like this machine to stop upgrading since the touch hardware is no longer supported.

4. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
  5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    haha funny thing the thread that Mr.X point for you solve issue there youself clicked like lol:roflmao:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Code:
    49 minutes ago
    Blind_Faith

7. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    :oops:

What did I miss here?

I just wanted to make sure everybody that contributed to solve my problem received their due.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Tiger didn't see that you liked the solution after Mr.X posted the link here, i posted you liked the linked post after that, not before :)

9. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks!

:p I am still a bit lost with the new format.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you contacted the Acer Service Center in your country? If not, that would be my first way to go!

Now, if the initial driver was for Windows 7, means that Laptop/Tablet was designed for Windows 7, it's likely that that the Touch Screen will work in Windows 8.1, but Windows 10 later builds.

What you could try is: extract the TouchScreen Driver from 1511 first. After that upgrade to 1607, delete the installed Touch Driver after full install and use the extracted Touch Driver from 1511 to install without to restart (important) the machine after the deletion of the Touch Driver from 1607. If that works, do the same for 1703.
    And again, it's important that you didn't restart the machine after deletion (NOT uninstall!!) of the new Touch Driver!!

That way worked on 2 Tablets of friends of mine, one Acer, one Lenovo, which had the same problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Nice approach. I suspect it would not work because under 1511 it uses a mixture MSFT default system drivers and a Cypres windows 7 driver. under 1703 everything shows up as working, no errors in device manager.

When I try using touch, fingers are detected but do limited actions. If I disable multitouch the mouse pointer appears and I can move it with my fingers.

The first thing I will be looking for is a valid diagnostic tool for touch. This in itself is a project. It is hard to get good ones for mouse or keyboards.

Not only is it a question of drivers but also of how the system responds to those drivers.

This will be a nice winter time problem tosolve.

12. The Solver

The Solver MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2017
    Win 10 LTSB 2015 is there for a reason. Avoid surprises with pointless updates from MS

Just use it

13. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    I am still trying to grasp all the implications of LTSB. I needed an immediate solution to stop the thing from updating every few hours.

I will now have the time to do the required reading and learning.

Thanks!