I am worry about Windows update -> KB971033

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by skydutch, May 29, 2010.

1. skydutch

skydutch MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2008
    I have MOD Bios successfully and my Windows 7 Ultimate is now Activated by using the key here -> forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/10370-Windows-7-OEM-SLP-Key-Collection

I am worry about Windows update -> KB971033

So I set Windows update option to -> "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

I have installed all update except KB971033

My question is:
    1. If I install Install KB971033 will my Windows not genuine anymore ?

2. I must NOT set Windows update to -> "Install updates automatically (recommended)" right ?

3. Before I update Windows. I should see it one by one which one not to install right ?

4. Any suggestion to keep my Windows always genuine ?

Thanks in advance

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If u have a successful bios mod, then don't worry......... U can update freely without any hesitation........ untill u use the blacklisted Lenovo key..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    As of right now almost all bios modded systems pass WAT so theoretically you are safe from KB971033 as of now dude. Once you blocked the WAT update you can select Auto from the updates too. There has been no other reported updates that can cause issues. You can leave it as is though, your choice. I have mine on auto though. There really is no sure fire way of keeping it always genuine short of never letting it connect to the internet lol. That way will work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. oldude

oldude MDL Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I have KB971033 Installed and all is OK still genuine

5. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    There's nothing to worry about.

Trail & Error. There's always a workaround out there. I mean, here. ;D

6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    just hide the update in MS updates... Its unessessary.

7. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  8. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Actually, I'm very good with KB971033.

Even when my BIOS Mod get busted, I still don't worry about it at all because, first of all, Life goes on and, second of all, there will be another workaround pretty soon. Hey, we're on MDL here! We can be proud of so many talented guys in here.

I am a lucky one cause I have a legit Win7 Pro key up in my sleeve. Besides, I could stay w/o a freakin' fancy Win7 SP1 till I passed away. Win7 RTM is just stable and I don't have any problems with RTM at all!

9. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    For those who have used modded bios, there have not been many issue's to my knowledge. Im running a modded bios myself and ive installed KB971033, validated online etc. All is well. In my case im using Gigabyte Slic 2.1 and Cert so it matches my mobo. This i think is the best way. If your bios is modded properly then id say the bottom line is "Dont worry :)". FYI, I just let windows download updates and i choose which one's to install but then thats a wise move anyway regardless of KB971033. Some of M$'s updates are just plain rubbish. :D:D

10. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Idk... I've never heard of a modded bios being blocked or anything. (emulation/black listed keys aside) I guess I don't keep up with stuff. I don't think my vista install since release ever went into reduced functionality mode and I just let it update whatever it wanted. I'd like to believe M$ got smarter but........ It should be as simple as changing the key I think.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  12. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Maybe the Gestapo would have liked this...
    but at all this resembles more of GDR...the Stasi would have been the best customer of M$ products, I'm quite sure.

Anyways: I'm asking myself whether this update will be installed outside the U.S. with the same "ingredients"...jurisdiction differs from country to country and I don't think this paranoid idiot game is legal in too many countries...

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    This is another reason I like staying in trial...lol

14. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Is this serious? Scan for "subjects of interest"... lol? Wouldn't (or maybe rather shouldn't) eg. the EU rage about this? Where did techarp get this info?

15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    And SP1,2 only have to be installed if one want's to upgrade right? Maybe this is why Vista sucked so we'd need to do updates and SP1,2...lol

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    No you don't have to install SP's dude. I would think this would never fly anyway because of legality reasons. I really don't know for sure though, just oviosly a huge break in privacy that is for sure.

17. Calistoga

Jul 25, 2009
    #17 Calistoga, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
    I would be very disappointed if the Data lnspectorate where I live didn't file a complaint about this, if it becomes reality that is.

It's completely insane that we would need to skip installing the SP's to stay safe from the Gestapo in 2010... Alright, I could just migrate completely to Linux, but I like my Windows 7..!

18. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    You know it uses WAT to do that if it is real, you can easily disable WAT for good, I bet hackers like Hazar will make a tool to do it anyway so we really have nothing to worry about in all honesty. It also said that it will be through windows defender, just disable defender if it is not already disabled and you should be good dude.

19. Calistoga

Jul 25, 2009
    You're probably right, but it shouldn't be like that. We shouldn't need to mess with our operating systems to protect our privacy. While you and me and most people at MDL will disable that crap, most people won't even know it's there, except from all the criminals and terrorists that will eventually just abandon the platform ;)

20. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It probably won't happen though because that is illegal!