I bought a new lap top everest showing slic 2.1 am i reading this right

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pbgbottle, Sep 13, 2009.

1. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    hey everyone my mother inlaw just picked up a laptop and wanted me to get rid of the trial stuff. but did not want me to format it. so anyways i was messing around with everest
    (Everest Ultimate V5.02 beta 1819 portable)
    for a second an i noticed everest says the slic version is 2.1 should this be ??
    also shows something as being emulated any ideas

just thought i would throw this one out there
    i didn't think they where shipping out laptops with windows Vista preinstalled with the newer slic? Toshiba Satellite

anbody

Attached Files:

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #2 Dolorous Edd, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    I don't think the XSDT table being emulated would be a problem. It looks like you have SLIC2.1 in the bios already so all you need is the OEM disk for that manufacturer. (or cert and key)

See the repository sticky and read up on the installing and activating portions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    do we have the toshiba 2.1 slic table yet here on MDL

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #4 Dolorous Edd, Sep 13, 2009
    You would need the Toshiba cert (the one from Vista should work, link is available in the repository). The SLIC appears to already be taken care of.

Just noticed this is your Mother In Laws computer. I beleive that people who buy a new computer with vista on it for the past few months are eligable for a free upgrade to 7, that is probably why they don't mind releasing computers with SLIC2.1 a little early.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #5 Phazor, Sep 13, 2009
    The presence of an emulated XSDT would suggest that it has been injected by a loader, and thus that there is not really a SLIC in the BIOS itself.

(Since i dont have access to the device i can of course only assume, but if i were you i would at least check this just to be totally sure...)

6. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    If he only has Vista pre-installed on the laptop then it does not make sense he would have a Windows 7 loader installed.

I have an HP 6730b with SLIC 2.1. I already knew that even before I had Windows 7 installed and while it was still running XP Pro. I am absolutely sure it does not have a loader because I clean installed from a pure MSDN disk. Everest Ultimate 5.02 beta also shows the XSDT to be emulated.

7. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    EDIT ! did not see post above before i posted this Doh!

i would hope it has not been injected with a loader how would i know which one .
    it was bought at wallmart and came in a sealed box. nothing looked messed with at all.
    anybody else have more input on the emulated XSDT table

8. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    thanks for your input i wouldn't think it has a loader ,we just opened the box.
    now to try and talk her into windows 7 cheers

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I said loader, not 7 loader or loader for windows 7.

The same loader principle was (and still is) being used for Vista.

So that means there are exceptions then. (Which is what i wasnt sure of.)

I myself only ever got the 'emulated' addendum in Everest when the SLIC was injected by a loader, but it went away when the SLIC came directly from the BIOS. Apparently hardware dependent then, although i dont quite understand why a non-emulated SLIC would show as emulated anyway...

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Emulated has nothing to do with a loader...You guys are funny...:D

It is just how Everest sees the XSDT table, as it may be coded different in the bios. Not uncommon for Everest, nothing to worry about..

Do yourself a favor, and do not put a ton of stock in Everest..

(Loader...Hehehehehe)

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Perhaps not necessarily and not directly, but definitely indirectly as far as Everest is concerned.

(Like i said, so far the emulated addendum always went away when the loader was replaced with a SLIC in BIOS.)

Ergo my conclusion: 'Loaded' SLIC = emulated / BIOS SLIC = non-emulated.

Its flawless logic, isnt it? :D

This might be good advice in deed then...:D

12. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    It is false positive that Microsoft WGA will have to sort out to avoid any support problems by the OEMs. BTW my BIOS isn't modded but an original update from HP.

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Pertaining to the XSDT....I should have specified..Emulated XSDT is not loader...

You know it is emulated..but if it is there when windows initializes..it is not emulated to the OS...

All logic is flawed my friend....this is a fact!!:eek::p

The old Paradox type stuff..that is a different animal..

14. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    thanks 911medic i was pretty confident that everything was on the up and up. Doh! i guess i better sell my stocks then :D

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    But there has to be a connection of some sort.

Otherwise the 'emulated' bit in Everest would not disappear when you remove the loader and use a SLIC BIOS, and reappear when you flash a SLIC-less BIOS and use a loader again.

Too bad we cant meet or i would show you. Because this is 100% reproducible.