I can't get windows 7 to install for the life of me

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LandonSlayz, Oct 1, 2016.

1. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    #1 LandonSlayz, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    OK. Before we start, I've googled a f*** ton and non of the fixes work. I wanted to avoid asking here and end up looking lazy.

motherboard:Asus B150M-A D3
    SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB
    CPU: i5 6600

I recently upgraded from AMD to an intel CPU. When I tried to install windows 7 64 bit on my PC again, using a bootable USB drive, onto my previous SSD, it stopped me after pressing "install now". It said that "A required CD/DVD driver is missing, please ...blah blah blah." So after some googling, I tried backing out of the installation to where it says "install now", and pulling out the USB and placing it in another USB 2.0 slot. That didn't change anything at all.

I can't change between AHCI and IDE because there literally isn't an option for it. I looked through every setting, and even called up ASUS, and they tried to direct me to something that didn't exist. I am running the latest BIOS version, after using EZ flash to do that.

And the biggest issue is I can't use any program that required Administrator access because I'm on a library PC at my college. So basically I can't use any torrents either for the WIN 7 ISO.

So basically I can't even install my OS because of this. Please Help!

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    sounds like a driver issue to me.

If you have an disk drive go old school and burn the Win 7 image to disk. That should work.

Or download the SATA and USB drivers for your board, load them on a USB drive separate to the OS install USB and load them just before the install starts.

3. Lexar

Lexar MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    Did you also try another USB-Stick?

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    UEFI / GPT / Secure Boot?

6. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    Secure boot is disabled. I don't know what GPT is. UEFI? In the (I think called CSM) part in the bios, it lets me enable legacy. So i have CSM enabled with a USB drive going to UEFI first, then legacy if that doesn't work. There was another setting for UEFI that f***ed with my hard drive tho.

I haven't been able to get my hand on one. If the fixes that the first couple mentioned don't help, I'll try that.

7. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

quote from my link - The problem lies in the fact that Windows 7's installer is only compatible with an older type of USB driver. The GIGABYTE 100 series motherboard uses a newer kind of USB driver, meaning you will get an error when trying to install Windows 7 - unquote.

this should be the same for asus msi etc boards.

8. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    #9 LandonSlayz, Oct 1, 2016
    (OP)
    @BrianCohen, would this problem stop if I did windows 10 instead? I'm going to need Win 10 in the future anyway. Is there any reason I shouldn't do that? Other than my personal preference?

Also, I just watched the video on their page. They mention XHCI, which is an option in my BIOS to enable or disable. Funnily enough, when I load the windows 7 installer, none of my USB devices work.

9. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    Oh. I've heard people talk about the "Asus EZ installer", but I thought they were talking about something to update the bios. I'll check that out real quick. I appreciate the help BTW, I hope this works. I'll edit my comment if it doesn't.

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Are you able to download files ?
    What device are you using to post on here seeing your PC is not up and running ?

I have had this error a couple of times when building new machines and the folk wanted Win 7.

It is just SATA drivers, you need new ones not built into Win 7.

11. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    #13 LandonSlayz, Oct 1, 2016
    (OP)
    I've been running back and forth from the library testing stuff. Quite the workout ;).

Yes I'm able to download files, but I cannot install any programs, including the one provided by Asus.

Will the god forsaken problem go away if I just do windows 10?

Does windows loader work on Win 10?

12. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

yes, the godforsaken problem would go away if you install w10, but you could be heading to bigger problems. but that doesnt solve your problem. you want w7.

from what i can make out the asus install thingy would just install a set of drivers to a usb drive. i would usually extract drivers with 7zip, but i doubt library pc's have 7zip(or similar). so if it is a case of extracting drivers from the exe somehow, thats easy. i will download the exe file, run it or extract drivers etc. if it works, i will upload them to my onedrive in a zip pack, which your library pc's should be able to do. leave it with me. i will message you the link if i am successfull, sometime before 12 midday UK time tomorrow.

13. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    Well, the library closes at 6:00EST, so 20 minutes. Good luck!

14. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    The problem will go away if you were to install Win 10. You would need a different activator.

If you go to the Asus support page for that board, download the SATA drivers for Win 7 ( guessing at Win 7 x64 ). Unzip the drivers to a usb drive and sling both the USB with Win 7 on and the USB with these drivers on.

Boot from the OS USB and begin to install.

Choose "Custom install"
    Click on "Load Drivers"
    Then browse to your second USB and select the driver\s needed to install.
    The installer will pick up what is needed.

This should work.

15. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

@tnx, its a usb issue, not sata. i regularly use pcs at my local library, they are very restrictive by design. sounds like his only pc is the library pc so what he can do is limited.

16. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Is the SSD connected to a USB port ? I am saying NOPE...

The SSD is connected to a SATA port.

The SATA drivers for this port are not included with the OLD Win 7 image. The latest ones for that board are needed.
    Downloading them from Asus is what is needed.

Is this a library PC he's built and trying to install Win 7 on ?

17. LandonSlayz

LandonSlayz MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm using a library computer to be able to fix my actual computer. it's a pain in the ass because i can't run any programs to fix it, i have to do it manually.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #20 Mr.X, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017