I can't pin a folder to the taskbar...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tuvi123, Jan 12, 2010.

1. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 tuvi123, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    I can't pin a folder to the windows explorer in the taskbar

I can't pin a folder to the windows explorer in the taskbar...
    I drag any folder to the taskbar ("pin to windows explorer") but I can't see it there..
    I only see "Windows Explorer" and the option to "Unpin the program from taskbar" but I don't have the folder in the windows explorer jumplist.

does anyone notice this bug?

2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    You won't have the folder in the taskbar, it says "pin to windows explorer" instead of "pin to taskbar". rt click on explorer icon you'll see the pinned folder at top of the jumplist.

3. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    that is exactly the problem..
    I can't see it there.. the folder supposed to be at top of the jumplist but it's just not there...
    it happens with any folder..

and this works for me a week ago, but now I can't pin a folder to the taskbar/explorer..

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 tuvi123, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    (OP)
    Daz-
    I know how to pin a folder.
    thank you for your help but it does not work... I can't pin folders to windows explorer.
    I open Windows Explorer and I dragged the folder from Windows Explorer to the taskbar (I see the "Pin to Windows Explorer") , then I right click on the Windows Explorer icon but the folder is just NOT there
    it happens with any folder.
    I know it sound very weird, but it just does not work for me anymore, It worked a a week ago but now it stop working.
    (I can pin programs to Taskbar, right click on a program and "pin to Taskbar" )

please help me.

6. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    it does not work for folders..

other suggestions?

7. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    #8 MasterDisaster, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The above suggestion works for folders. Maybe you made a mistake when creating the shortcut

Code:
    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler C:\My Folder

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 tuvi123, Jan 13, 2010
    (OP)
    I mean it does not work when I try to pin it to Windows Explorer..
    (but it works if I pin it to taskbar).

I want to pin some folders to Windows Explorer, so I will have right click on Windows Explorer icon
    and have a list of my favorite folders there.

so the problem is that I can't pin folders to windows explorer (when I do that, the folder does not show up there, I right click on the Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar but the folder is not there ).
    please help me.

9. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know if this will help. I pinned by -right clicking on windows explorer -frequent folder -right click on my frequent to add to list. My folder appears at top of list under pinned. Sorry if I am not clear. Not a technical person.

10. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007

First click with the right mouse button on the desktop.
    In the context menu select "New" -> "Text Document":

Change the name of the text file immediately into a meaningful front part
    and - important - the file extension to "exe":

(If the file extension "txt" does not appear, previously deactivate in Windows Explorer via menu "Organize" -> "Folder and search options" -> tab "View" -> "Hide extension to known file types".)
    Ignore the warning from Windows 7 and answer the question:
    "Are you sure you want to change it?" with "Yes."

After that the icon has changed to a standard icon for EXE files.

After this click on the file with the right mouse button. Now a menu item "Pin to Taskbar" appears. Choose this and a new icon appears in the taskbar.

Now open Windows Explorer and search for the desired folder. Hold down the "Shift" key and simultaneously click with right mouse button on the desired folder. Only this way the context menu shows the context menu entry "Copy as path". This way allow to copy the correct path detail of the folder into the Windows clipboard.

Next, click with right mouse button on the icon in the Taskbar and then again with the right mouse button on the "Program". In the context menu select "Properties".

Now change on tab "Shortcut" the "Target". Clear this field and press "Ctrl + V". This inserts the previously copied folder path from the Windows clipboard into the "Target" field. See the different folder names:

Depending on different languages also the part "User" can vary.

A suitable icon can now be selected with the button "Change Icon". Either from the offered file "SHELL32.dll" - or from other DLL files with icons. Here is a list of other files with attractive icons which are already included in Windows 7.

The "program" on the desktop may be deleted. The new shortcut in the taskbar can now be used immediately. However, the changed icon appears only after a reboot. If the mouse hovers over the shortcut in the taskbar then the name appears as a "Tooltip" above the link.

11. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  12. pedagogy

pedagogy Chit Chatter

Jul 31, 2009
    #13 pedagogy, Jan 13, 2010
  13. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    IT does not help.
    thank you but I don't want workarounds..
    I WANT to fix the problem.

a month ago I was be able to pin folders to Windows Explorer (and I saw the "Pinned" divider)
    but now it is not working anymore..
    when I pin the folder (any folder) into windows explorer I CAN'T see them there, the folders do not show up there. (see the pictures I posted in my previous post).

Please help.

14. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
  15. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #17 tuvi123, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    (OP)
    MasterDisaster
    for me there is no HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile subkey... I don't have it..
    what should I do?

I think we are getting somewhere here.
    thank you.

16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #18 Mr Jinje, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok I did it, but it still does not work..

18. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Easy fix will be to use a System Restore from before last week. Or are you like me and disable system restore because it is useless ?