I can't see folders and files in the drive in windows 8 !!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by maadighost, Nov 9, 2013.

1. maadighost

maadighost MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2013
    When I transfer data from a hard disk with windows 7 operating system to another hard disk with windows 8 operating system I can not see what I transferred in windows 8, When I connect this hard to the other driver with windows 7 again as a slave I can not see the data also but I can see the space used in the drive!! can any body help please?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    what is this kind of data-extention? Is there a program which is only on 7 and not on 8 that generates these data?

3. maadighost

maadighost MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2013

All data that I transferred (All kind of data) is not showing in windows 8 and the space in the drive is zero

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    run a sfc /scannow in admin cmd or even refresh your 8 pc with option to keep all data etc.
    very uncommon issue which indicates a major problem on the machine

5. maadighost

maadighost MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2013
    what is sfc /scannow? I can not understand this?

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I think this is a security thing. I've seen it before. To see the files, you need to take ownership of the drive and change the security settings. Right click on the drive using your file manager. Select Properties, then Security then Advanced. Click on Change. Type in Administrators. Click on Check Names. Click on OK. Check the box next to Replace all child . . . and if there is a box to enable inheritance, check that also. When it is finished changing the owner it will ask if you want to change the security settings. Say yes. After all of this is done, close out of everything and then go back in with Properties, and Security. Make sure all of the Group or user names have full control enabled. Close out of properties again and now you should be able to see the folders and files on the drive.

7. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Make windows show hidden files and folders in folder options, then take folder ownership, profit?