i did not know you could do this and it would work!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by zen45, Mar 30, 2012.

1. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    i rebuilt my system i had a msi k9a2vm mobo with a 5200+ amd chip and replaced it with a msi 890gxm-g65 and the amd xe4 965 chip, the strange part was i was going to reformat the hard drive with the new mobo so i put the hard drive in the new setup booted it up adjusted the bios for the dvd to start first the hard drive second, and it started up like nothing happened it was still activated and all the sotware was good. i thought when you changed the mobo and cpu a flag went up and you had to reactivate? o_O

2. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Are you using a loader or modded bios

3. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    #3 zen45, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    (OP)
    orignally i used daz loader on the old system, the new mobo has the updated bios from their website MSI, i didnt think you could just use the same drive in another mobo even if it was the same manufacture :confused: i changed the mobo and the cpu and memory only the drive was the same but what the hell it works dont fix it lol :biggrin:

and i didnt use any activation on this setup so the activaction must have stayed with the drive i guess

4. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    an AMD 5200+ for the old and the new cpu is a AMD x4 965 black edition, also this mobo has usb 3 where my old just had 2.0, when the computer started it downloaded all kinds of new installs, as soon as it finished and rebooted i went to the msi web site and downloaded their live update 5 updated the bios to the last one they had and rebooted. so far i havnt run into any problems the game work ok so do the utility progs, all my garmin stuff is good and the dam thing now remembers my passwords yea!
    so your probly right about a clean install and i was going to do it untill this happened- so for now i will leave it alone " it dont seem to be broke yet" i just thought it strange that i didnt run into an activation problem with all the changes- i used daz loader on the first mobo only and i think that was something like version 2.06 o_O it was a while back.
    PS this runs better then the one i started with no more usb error crashes so im happy with it and thats what counts right?

5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    i got to thinking about what u said about files and drivers left over and the regestry having left over crap in it. sooo long story short i did a format on the hard drive o_O and all went well bios has slic 2.1 usb 3.0 am3+ with the new bios update :chris: sata 6 gig and a clean regestry ;)