I have a big problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by davehries, Jul 23, 2015.

1. davehries

davehries MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    I am a member of Windows Insider Program (WIP). I have been running Windows 10240 on a separate HD. I had been experiencing some issues with the build, so I decided to Refresh the OS this morning. The Refresh started up and was running along, when it stopped and started the normal rollback process. A few minutes into the rollback it crashed. It gave me three options, two versions of Windows 10 and a Restore. I selected restore a it immediately crashed and sent me back to the same 3 options. But, it indicated there was an "inaccessible boot device". :eek:

I am at a loss as to what to do. I want to remain part of the WIP, but to do that I need to fix the OS on the drive or reinstall the OS. The OS is still on the drive, but I can't get to it and make it boot-able.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Regards.

2. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    You are still part of the insiders, that is tied to your email and not the os you have installed..if you think the drive is bad your best bet is probably to go back to 8.1 or whatever you had and then do another upgrade to 10 to get reactivated. I would say just reinstall 10 but the new hd might screw up your activation, of course you could then just call them and explain what is going on.

3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    New HDD will be fine.
    I've done the upgrade on one HDD, then replaced it with a bigger one and did a clean install. W10 activated as soon as it was connected to the net.

But that was with a straight upgrade, you will need to login with your MSA to keep getting insider builds

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you can try to run win10 from dvd or usb and in the install section where it shows the HDD, delete everything and let it make new partitions. That might fix your boot issue, or boot to the media and try repair. Id just wipe it all and start fresh. This is all if the HDD is actually still good, save you having to buy another.

Let it install and go from there. SKip installing the key when asked and login with MSA, you will get activated.

5. davehries

davehries MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies.

I used your suggestions and I ended up doing the clean install as some of you suggested. It worked great!

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Check in your computer's bios to see if your selected boot disk is the disk with Windows 10 on it. It could be that setup changed that setting and your computer is trying to boot from a different hard disk.

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    IMO click bait thread titles like this "I have a big problem" are annoying! :nono3:

Why not include some type of description in the title so everyone doesn't have to click into it to see what it's about!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you dont HAVE to click it you nosy person!

lmao

and op did a clean install and all is well.

9. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Are you going to make regular image back-ups of your beta-testing Operating System, or are you going to continue to put the gun to your head and pull the trigger?

10. davehries

davehries MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    I have learned a good lesson.

By the way, what imaging software do you recommend?