I have a biostar motherboard and tried a slic upgrade on it, now it's dead

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by crspyjohn, Sep 19, 2010.

1. crspyjohn

crspyjohn MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    I have a biostar motherboard and tried a slic upgrade on it, now it's dead. It won't post, no video, no beeps, nothing.

Recovery procedures for AMI BIOS

Download the latest version or your choose version of BIOS file for your computer or motherboard from the manufacturer’s support site.
    Rename the downloaded file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
    Copy the file to a floppy disk.
    Insert the floppy disk to the floppy drive.
    Turn on the system.
    The system should automatically access the floppy drive (indicated LED will light up). If no floppy access occurs press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. Follow any on screen instruction to restore and recover the good BIOS from the floppy disk.
    When 4 beeps are heard or a reboot prompt you may remove the floppy disk.
    Restart the computer.

I tried this but the motherboard would NOT read the floppy drive at all. Any other tips you guys have?

2. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    #2 sofatiger51, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Is your computer desktop or laptop? If laptop, try take out the battery. It's Sunday and therefore a quiet day or a day of rest for most people. I am not an expert on BIOS revival. Hopefully someone can jump in to suggest something for you to try.
    If your MB is relatively new? Worst come to worst, you can order EEPROM chip from BIOSMAN and I heard they have good support and they can help you. Have you visited BIOSTAr website and see whether they have recovery procedure for MB?

3. zoro57

zoro57 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm really not a BIOS revival expert But
    1- Did you tried to press Ctrl+Home to force update??
    If you didn't try that, It may work

2- Try this way:

-Download the latest version or your choose version of BIOS file for your computer or motherboard from the manufacturer’s support site.
    -Rename the downloaded file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
    -Download this file : from the attachment you will find a text file has the link
    (Sorry I had to do this because I can't post a link)
    -Make a file and name it Autoexec.bat and write these Commands:
    afudos.exe /iamiboot.rom /pbnc /n
    -Now you have three files (AMIBOOT.ROM , AFUDOS.exe , Autoexec.bat)
    put them on a bootable flash.
    -Now Insert the flash into the USB drive.
    -Turn on the system While pressing and holding Ctrl+Home
    -The system should automatically access the Flash drive automatically (indicated LED will light up).
    -Follow any on screen instruction to restore and recover the good BIOS from the floppy disk.
    -When 4 beeps are heard or a reboot prompt you may remove the USB Flash Driver.
    Restart the computer.

If this ways didn't work tell me to search for another one for you

Attached Files:

• Link.txt
      File size:
      58 bytes
      Views:
  4. crspyjohn

crspyjohn MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    i tried your method and it didn't work, the board won't access the usb drive at all.

5. zoro57

zoro57 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    Try this way with a Floppy disk not a USB drive :)

6. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #6 hack, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Going to need a bit more info about the board.

The board model and bios ver you attempted to flash?
    How was the bios modded and where you acquired the mod?
    How you attempted to flash the bios, did you 1st flash the unmodded bios and then the Mod without a Boot Block Update?
    Did you have any issues flashing the mod.

Biostar uses AMI and Award Bioses possibly others.
    The latest Flash Utility they supply is Windows based only or through the Bios Flash Utility.
    Flashing through windows can be risky especially as they seem to update the Boot Block and you need a stable OS.
    Your recovery procedures will vary based on the bios you are dealing with and will only work if you have a intact boot block.
    Sometimes a bios mod may not be that badly wrong that the boot block recovery is not triggered.
    If you can look for the flash chip on your board and let me know the Part Number eg w49f002up12b (hopefully the only chip in a socket)
    This 2Mb flash chip can be forced into boot block recovery by shorting Pin 30 and Pin 31 (WE and A17) Most others are safe to short pins 2 and 3 A15 and A16 on start up as the Boot block is triggered when it cannot read from the main bios. Please note that in most cases the Boot Block has very limited device support so a Stiffy drive and not a USB Stiffy would be recommended.

Before you get to far into it and try hot flashing try the basics like clear your cmos etc they do have a bios recovery thread here just take a look.
    Bios Recovery Procedures is sticky'd in the Bios Mod thread. sorry can't post links as I have only 16 post and need 20. I need to work for a living so I don't have time to post meaningless cr@p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...