I have a question about Windows Charms on Win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by letmein7, Nov 2, 2012.

1. letmein7

letmein7 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    When I go to Windows Charms Start screen, I see Desktop, Mail, Calendar, Weather, and so on. When I click on Calendar for an example, I don't see date or anything. What I see is a picture of this Calendar tab and it automatically goes back to Windows Charms Start Screen. When I click on Internet Explorer from this Start screen, I see IE 10 browser. I want to know how I can config and use Calendar or Mail from this Start screen. Thank you.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    What you mean is just "Start Screen", "Charms" is the black bar you can bring up on the right side ;)
    You seem to encounter a bug, try "sfc /scannow" in a Elevated Command Prompt (go to Start Screen > type cmd > and right click onto it and Start it as Admin or use shift+ctrl+enter)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. letmein7

letmein7 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    #3 letmein7, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you for your prompt response. I did run sfc/scannow and it didn't find any problem. I can't run the Calendar or the Mail or the Finance from Start Screen even though I can run internet explorer .

Any suggestion?

Here is what happens.

I go to Start screen and click on the calendar for an example. It opens and immediately closes and I see start screen.

What is problem? Thank you for your help.

4. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi,which edition of Windows 8 do u have (RTM,CP,RP) ?
    Make sure you are connected to the net.
    Maybe your OS aint activated ?

5. letmein7

letmein7 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    I bought a win8 pro at my computer store and it activated successfully. This is a legal copy. I was able to download all win8 updates from MS site.

6. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Did you turn off any windows features aka Windows Firewall? Are you using a Local account?

7. letmein7

letmein7 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm using a local account and I don't turn off windows firewall.

8. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Some things do not work right or even work with local accounts.