I have a startup problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fred64, Jul 29, 2015.

1. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I am dual booted with Win7 Pro and Win 10 build 10240.
    Win 7 Pro is a HP OEM using a modded BIOS and was the current OS until Win 10 was added using a USB stick.

I now find that I am have a startup problem and can only boot up if I leave my USB stick with Win 10 in a motherboard USB port if I don't I get an on screen message saying that Boot.exe cannot be found.
    I have tried repairing this problem using my Win 7 Pro DVD in repair mode but it tells me that it cannot repair the problem. Whem I try with the USB drive with Win 10 it says that the problem is fixed - but it isn't and I still have to leave the stick in to boot up.
    I do not want to reinstall Win 7 as I did that just a month ago and because my DVD was fairly old I had to spend several hours downloading over 200 updates.
    Has any one any idea how I can fix this problem ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello fred64 - The correct answer depends on this: Does your machine use MBR boot or UEFI boot? I ask because the solution to fixing UEFI boot problems is completely different from fixing MBR boot problems. An easy way to figure this out is to open Disk Management and see if there's a small FAT32 partition somewhere on the disk. Also, while you have Disk Management open, right click on the area where you see "Disk 0" displayed in the lower partition table, then select "Properties" and then "Volumes". You should find either "MBR" or "GPT" as the partition style. MBR uses MBR boot and GPT uses UEFI boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    Hello John
    thank you for your reply my disk is MBR style and there is no FAT32 partition.

I have thought that using the files from another computer may solve the problem of the missing files. incidentally i was wrong about the missing file and it is boot/wsp that is missing .
    I hope you can help me, I would be very grateful
    You may like to know that my avatar is almost factual since I am 74 and have two Jack Russels who tend to drag me along
    regards
    Peter

4. xXBlackWidowXx

xXBlackWidowXx MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2015
    This might just be a shot in the dark, but try rebooting with your Windows 10 installation media and after you select your language you will see a "Repair" option in the lower left hand corner of the installer. Click that and wait for it to find the Windows OS, then click "Command Prompt". Once there issue the following commands:

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /fixmbr

Then reboot.