I installes pc tools registy mechanic and restared laptop,,look what happned

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasso, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rasso

rasso MDL Member

May 24, 2009
  2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    I'd be mad too if some program made my desktop all orange. :evil2:

Do your icons go back to normal when you uninstall it.

3. rasso

rasso MDL Member

May 24, 2009
    no lol,,but i did windows 7 restore and everthing is ok now...dont install that regissty mechanic blabla

4. bluetba

bluetba MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009

lol :biggrin:

5. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    really, seems to be one of the worst reistry cleaner..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Thats funny..

ive been using registry mechanic for years without any problems.. must be something else?

7. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    That's right, I had installed the latest version of Registry Mechanic and was using it without problem on Windows 7 (32bit).
    The reason I uninstall it was the serial keep reverting to default.:D

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #8 Phazor, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Obviously the usual problem with the shortcut overlay icon caused by an improper value in key 29 in

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons
    Unless you are using an app like IconPackager (which specifically uses this entry to 're-route' certain icons) just delete the whole Shell Icons entry and reboot in case you ever run into this issue. After that the shortcut overlays (and possibly other unwantedly re-routed system icons) will be back to normal*.

*Note: Icons changed with IconPackager are a different case! While IconPackager does use the Shell Icons entry to re-route system icons like folders and the shortcut arrow etc it also replaces values directly in CLASSES_ROOT to change the icons for whatever file-types an IconPack includes. (Like .avi, .mpg, .jpg, .txt and so on.) These icons, since their absolute path was actually changed rather than just re-routed, can obviously not be restored to their defaults by just deleting the Shell Icons entry! The only way to restore these (unless of course you want to do each one manually) is to have IconPackager do it by reverting to the Windows default icons! It keeps track of what icons have been changed in its 'backup.ini' located in the appdir...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have'nt found a reistry cleaner thats safe to use for 7 anywhere. You have to manually select each suggestion on ALL of them. Even CCleaner removed needed keys.........

10. Andrew180

Andrew180 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Using CCleaner, no problem.

11. aldinof

aldinof MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    that's right... using CCleaner in win 7 no problem at all

12. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    CCleaner and TuneUp Utilities 2010, both safe.

13. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Team,
    I have found that W7 runs much better without any registry cleaners. I have tried (almost) all of them and they all make W7 run slower, not faster or better. Reg cleaners are old school from XP and (gasp) W9x when it was needed. Neither Vista nor W7 need it.

HTH

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That doesn't make any sense every time you install or uninstall a program some times entries still get left in registry making it larger and it takes longer to load evntually it does slow down you machine.

15. gonzo3000

gonzo3000 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2007
    The best thing is when the registry cleaner would not be used. But I do not agree with you, such as uriel said registry database is constantly increasing when installing and uninstalling programs, so this kind of programs needed after some time working in the Windows environment.

16. rasso

rasso MDL Member

May 24, 2009
    #16 rasso, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    thank you for the info

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    CCleaner never causes any issues.
    But it does skip a few keys that could be deleted on a regular basis.
    There are others, like Regseeker, that will find litterally hundreds of keys that ccleaner won't find.
    But do mind that among them will be lots of false positives, so some knowledge will be necessary to weed out the right ones.

I have been using ccleaner for years, never one single issue. But since recently I use RegSeeker once a month to really do a thourough cleanup.
    It takes some time, but if you know what you're doing, RegSeeker is a monster that'll find everything.

18. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Also using ccleaner without any problems so i dont know what the hell u guys are doing :p

19. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Very true. When you never use a regcleaner, after some time windows will become slower/less responsive.
    As long as "the registry" is being used for the operation of windows, that won't change.
    The manner in which apps are being installed has changed, and maybe the registry has become a bit more efficient in storing it's keys and values, but the
    constant increase of it's database is a fact that remains to this day. And in Vista evenmore so than in win7.

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    i also use RegSeeker back and forth excellent freeware program especially for searching and finding redundant registry entries.