I need recommendations on what I should install..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shurikn, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Shurikn

Shurikn MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    Hello guys, I just found this website while looking around for a windows 7 ultimate version and found a lot of interesting information.. actually almost too much!

I'm looking to install windows 7 on my work laptop. I have to send my computer to my company to get some of our softwares installed on it and they ask me to have a genuine version of windows. I was told they wouldn't go crazy on genuine checks but I dont want something obvious to show up in their face when they install it.

I was wondering what I should download and the activation method I should use in order to make this pirated version as stealthy as possible.

Also I beleive they will install all the updates if I leave it not completely updated so I'll need something to get an up to date version working.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Phil

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Some information would go a long way laptop model e.c.t is your laptop even capable of running windows 7 does it have slic 2.1 in bios.

3. Shurikn

Shurikn MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    Well running it shouldn't be a problem considering the computer is new. As for having slic 2.1 well I really dont have a clue, I dont have the computer yet.

This is a link to the laptop I've bought, I didn't buy it there. It comes with windows 7 home but job require at least windows 7 pro so I'm looking into either pro or ultimate.

h**p://w**.gateway.com/systems/product/529668522.php
    (forum wont let's me post links)

I hope these informations can help.

Thanks

4. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    If the computer is new and it comes with windows 7 home premium, than it is likely that it has slic 2.1
    When you get the computer you only need to verify if it does have slic 2.1, just to be sure. Use the slic toolkit 3.2 found here at mdl.
    Then follow the instructions on how to enter an oem slp key for ultimate, also found here at mdl.

5. Shurikn

Shurikn MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    ok great thanks! I'll do it soon as the laptop gets here

6. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    You only need to change the key to an OEM Ultimate key... most likely, because it has a certificate already if it the computer comes with windows 7 home. The key is not brand specific but you better use the one for your computer brand.

7. Shurikn

Shurikn MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    Ok and a last question while we are at it and I dont want to screw up. Can I download any versions of windows 7 I can find on these boards? I would install a french version because I'm not sure if they will ask for it or not.

Can I use a copy downloaded from this thread?

h**p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-English-Spanish-German-French-X86-amp-X64

8. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yes you can. It is best to get the windows 7 from the links here at mdl... don't get it from unverified sources.

Ok, you did not say that you would reinstall windows 7. Wiping out the drive and reinstalling a french version will also wipe out the certificate. You need to back up the certificate first and save it to a usb flash drive ( I am not sure if the certificate is available here at mdl somewhere, but it might be). After making sure you have slic 2.1, back up the certificate - you can use slictoolkit 3.2 for that too. Then you can proceed to reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate French. Insert key and cert and you are done.

9. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    One more thing, check if your computer uses the 32 bit or 64 bit version of windows. I recommend using the same as the one that came with the computer. That way, you won't have difficulties with regards to drivers. You might have a driver disc supplied by the manufacturer which you may need to install after reinstalling Windows 7.

10. Shurikn

Shurikn MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    I guess my other option would be to upgrade the windows coming with my computer right?

I wanted to restart windows from scratch because often it will come with various crap I dont want on my computer so usually it's faster to simply format and start with a new installation.

11. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yes, that would be simpler but you seem to be capable. A clean install would get rid of bloatware if there are any. If it has slic 2.1, and I believe that is highly likely, you only need to install the key and certificate after reinstalling.

You can check the links at the Official Windows 7 Repository too... there are instructions on how to change the language to french.
    h**p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7126-The-Official-Windows-7-Repository

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just make sure you download all drivers needed from manufacturers site first before you go formatting computer and backup certificate and serial as already stated, and save to somewhere safe.

13. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #13 bluealien, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    @Shurikn

Ok, I read urie's post and got me a bit worried. So let me emphasize. Before you wipe out the drive, assuming you want to take that route and do a clean install. BE SURE to save the certificate and perhaps also the win7 home key that came with it (use slicktoolkit 3.2). Save it to a usb flash drive.

Get the Ultimate oem key from here at mdl(search for it). Make sure you have the drivers for your specific laptop/pc model- 32 bit or 64 bit which ever is required and save it, perhaps on a disc or flash drive as well. Then proceed with reinstalling windows 7 ultimate. > insert certificate (the one you saved) and insert the new Ultimate key (the one you searched for here at mdl). Install drivers as needed.

Go to windows update and choose the optional updates to get the language update for french if that is your preferred language. Switch to French as your Display Language and you're done. Well, plus some other updates and softwares, then that's it.

Having all these will prevent delays or unwanted issues when you reinstall the o.s. If you encounter any problems, just post again and we will try our best to help out.