I pulled a FUBAR - Win 8.0 / Win 8.1 Accidental 'WAT' file execution..

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by n9nu, Sep 27, 2013.

1. n9nu

n9nu MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2010
    #1 n9nu, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Okay....embarrassing as this is, here it goes:

I had Windows 8.0 Enterprise VL 64 Bit installed (via KMS) without any problems since the initial install several months back. I decided to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 Bit version (via DVD Setup from within Win) on top of Win 8.0 and when it finished it disabled the KMS 8.0 activation I had (which I knew it would), however, I did something stupid and accidentally clicked on an older file I had for Win 7 activation. The dreaded file I accidentally ran was 'wat' which was part of another older activator for Win 7 I guess. The folder contents included P, T, wat and a few others...with 'install', 'uninstall', etc. commands in the root folder. It then immediately booted me out of the system and I went back to the Win 8.1 Login screen. I noticed my Microsoft log-in account avatar/icon as shown before was missing and was replaced with the generic blue facial outline. When I try to log-in, it pauses for a minute and (I assume) tries to authenticate something via MS servers as I am using my MS email & password for the Win login. It can't and thus end up with completely black screen (Issue with WGA/WAT perhaps?)

I can access most of the system via the command prompt via 'run new' via the task manager...so I can at least get to the control panel, explored, etc.

Can someone tell me WHERE to look in my Windows/System32, etc. folders to check for any files associated with it when that ran/installed ? I am sure some files are being queried at startup/win login which are sending this crap to their servers and returning with a rude 'screw you now get the black screen' deal?

I do NOT like logging into Windows 8.1 via my MS account, however, when I tried to upgrade, it seemed to force me to use one. I would MUCH rather use a local account and deep six that type of MS login. They have balls to require that type of login if ya ask me ;)

I would prefer not to have to re-install if it all possible.

Tnx

Tim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #2 Smorgan, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Strongly advise you run sfc /scannow for file validation. This should fix some of the issues your having as each of the WAT file mods is with an older version.

I have extensive experience in Windows activation licensing so first check to see if winlogon.exe in which you modified is still there in some form like winlogon.exe.bak by checking in System32.

This can be done by going to system32 which should be where cmd starts from and typing "dir".

WAT also uses sppcomapi.dll file disable to get around the activation too using the permissions for the sppcomapi.dll as well.

Now lets explain why you are having issues which is going to delve into the Windows 7 Activation. The windows 7 activation used a winlogon check in order to verify your license. You should not have to reinstall if you can get the winlogon.exe back online you should have primary functionality again and the rest should be pretty easy.

And now the question is how much Command line do you know?

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    As to MS account , all you have to do is enter a non valid email, and you will bypass that requirement of having to use MS account. Good luck dude:smokecowboy:

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There is no requirement, creating local account is still possible, but it's now hidden inside "create account" or whatever the text says, there you get the option for Local account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. n9nu

n9nu MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2010
    Hi guys

Tnx for the information. I just ran 'sfc /scannow' and it reported a few Windows Resource Errors then fixed whatever files were corrupt. I logged out and there was my old MS avatar/picture staring me in the face. I logged in, disconnected from the MS account via 'PC Settings' and then setup my local account. It works! I didn't need (as of yet) to mess around with any other System32 files.

Tnx to all the helped. The CLI is still my favorite way to take of things. I am used to Linux and BSD and cherish the CLI/Terminal for many things...thus a DOS box feels right at home :)

The GUI is nice, however, true power for a geek like myself resides via the CLI

Tim