I successfully modded my own bios and wanted to share it with the rest of you

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by uhlhazard, Mar 21, 2010.

1. uhlhazard

uhlhazard MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    #1 uhlhazard, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    Well let me get started by saying you guys kick butt regarding your slic 2.0-2.1 premodded bios's which I successfully used to mod my Dell d420.

I wanted to do the same to my broken lcd, bad battery, cd reading only dvd drive laptop.

It is a ZT systems (walmart because im poor) 1414.

This is a turion 50 with the nforce 4 chipset.

My problem was getting a bios because my serial # wore off of the bottom of the laptop a good 3 months into ownership. ZT is a horrible company if you want support. They charge for restore disks that don't originally ship with the laptop even though my hdd went bad in the first 3 months. (kinda hard to restore a laptop from a damaged partition to the new hard drive DOH)

Well fast forward to today, ZT wouldn't give me a new bios file because I lost my receipt and have no serial#. So I thought I was SOL. I started doing some digging and found out my laptop is actually a rebadged MSI Mega Book s430. Even some of the bios headers say so. I hit up the MSI website and grabbed the latest bios and flashed to it with no issues. WHEW! I was nervous but figured what the heck.

So now that I have established that I own an MSI laptop and confirmed that via successful bios flashing I set out on a voyage to flash this bios to slip 2.1 AND to further complicate matters because I lack a restore disk, I decided to use my handy Dell vista restore disk (not trying to pirate) and just do the slip 2.1 WITH dell headers and certs.

Well I followed the excellent instructions on this site and failed initlally with a "1b header" issue but that was also resolved with a quick search unticking "automate" or something along those lines.

So I figured to celebrate I would post my modded ZT systems, MSI, and Dell chimaira bios here for the rest of the world. Confirmed and working.

Evidently I cannot upload files to here with Google Chrome, so I will reply or edit if I can to this post with the attachments via IE.

The files I am uploading come with 4 things, the modded bios file, the original bios file (labeled .old) the flash program, and the batch file to automate everything. I did this off of my bootable flash drive.

I couldn't upload the files because of their size so I put it on my ftp:

http://uhlclan.com/mywebtemp/files/ZTMSIDELL.rar

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ uhlhazard, just in case you didn't know these is certificate ans 2.1 slic for MSI in archive in Win 7 & Server 08 R2 SLIC 2.1 Bin Collection download the SLIC 2.1 BINS 3-22-10.7z file.

totally up to yourself but personaly if possible when i do a mod i try and keep brand the same as original if possible.

3. uhlhazard

uhlhazard MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    All I have available to me is oem Dell installs