I think my GFX card is crashing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by United Armada, Oct 26, 2011.

1. United Armada

United Armada MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I forget where to check to see if it is but I checked my Reliability History and it said that Windows Shut down Unexpectedly. I was just wondering where I can get a error report so I can get some reason, or help on this issue. Its quite annoying because my monitor goes black and then the only way to fix it is to restart my computer.

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    seems to be graphics card, system logs are recorded in: Control panel->administrative tools-> event viewer.

3. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    I checked that and it only said that windows shut down unexpectedly. Maybe im not looking in the right place?

4. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    it's the right place, if windows shut down unexpectedly there should be an error log, and there should error details, like in bsod (for example: 0x00000000(parameter1,parameter2,parameter3,parameter4)) or sometimes directly shows wich DLL error(if you have nvidia card then file may be nv4disp.dll(or something like this) if ati then ati****.dll), have you checked under system logs?

5. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    Well, nothing that I understand :D no direct error info, try running some Video stress tools, and check VRAM.
    VRAM checking utility is in Hirens BCD but I don't remember exact name, video stress checking tools can be easily found via google, Good Luck! leave checking for few hours. Oh, and yes, before running stress tools disable automatic restart on system failure(in F8 screen), it should be done after every time system restarts when checking.

6. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    Anyone else able to help?

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Did you update the video drivers ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    yes. I will check again tonight, and redownload them. If the problem persists i will repost.

9. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    Last night i updated to their newest drivers, and just a second ago my computer screen turned black and sound turned off. So thats now the problem, and in none of the reports does it say there was a error.

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Did you clean out the old drivers properly ? :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    yup, uninstalled them and then installed the new ones

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :french_blank:Probably hardware issue then but those screen turn off thingies were happening on Nvidia crap drivers too and it wasn't hardware.

13. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit." got that error last night, and I think that restarted my computer cuz it was on my the display screen when I woke up. Is there any way I can just wipe my computer, and start from scratch with just the OS?

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  15. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    #15 United Armada, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    (OP)
    Honestly would that be my best bet? to reformat my computer down to the OS and then start anew? Would this fix some of the Hardware issues im having because waking to a computer that has restarted is kinda annoying.

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It can't fix hardware issues. :eek:

17. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    hmm... well then is there a way that i can diagnose why my computer is restarting, cuz both event viewer and reliability history report dont give a error. They just say the computer was shut down unexpectedly

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Did you try changing the Graphics card or if it has integrated video then test with it.