I want to download Windows 7, but have couple of questions..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thijs12, Feb 19, 2010.

1. thijs12

thijs12 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    I want to download this but i have couple of questions:

1. I am running XP 32-bit. can i just install windows 7 straight away? without uninstalling XP?
    2. If i install windows 7, will all of my programs get deleted?
    3. Do i HAVE to burn it to a dvd, or can i just mount it using PowerISO?

Cheers:D

2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    1. Yes u can dual-boot Win7 & XP ( also upgrade is possible )
    2. If u do an "upgrade-install" ur programs should be fine
    3. Yes u can mount it also... but I would recommend to burn it on a dvd also

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    1. yes
    2. yes but sometimes an windows.old file get created in C:\windows\windows.old which contains data on old OS. Installed programs do get deleted as far as I know.
    3. I've heard good results form both but best to have repair disk for several reasons
    4. :)

4. thijs12

thijs12 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    #4 thijs12, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    (OP)
    no i mean like, can i ONLY install windows 7 without uninstalling xp?
    so installed programs, games, downloaded contents and application do get removed?
    also is windows 7 better? also, do i just follow the instructions on the setup?
    and how do i LEGALLY activate my windows 7, and do i need a key or something?
    (i downloaded your version timesurfer)

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Yes you can install 7 without uninstalling XP but you need to create free space for the 7 partition. My recommendation is if you want your existing setup install 7 fresh - do not attempt to upgrade - so you need a bootable DVD for this.

There is no easy "upgrade" from XP to 7 so your settings and programs are not migrated to 7 - it creates a Windows.old folder with the previous stuff in it.

You can create free space for the install by shrinking your XP Partition and installing 7 to the free space - this will not create the 100 MB system partition needed for Bitlocker but will create dual boot XP and 7 for you.

You can also delete your existing partitions and install 7 to the free space - this will create the 100 MB system partition needed for Bitlocker.

Or you can use the tools included in the 7 setup to partition during setup but your old stuff will be gone.

7 is better - I thought Vista was better than XP - slower sure but still an advance. 7 is better than Vista in most areas.

You need to buy a licence key to LEGALLY activate 7 - you can of course use a loader or modify your BIOS but these are obviously not legal.

If you want XP as well you cannot easily install it after 7 as XP will not recognize 7 and you have to fix up the boot parameters later on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I know! I've seen your question about 6-7 times so far between sites and forums...lol
    For the record I put the RTM in my torrent...lol

7. GAVINEER

GAVINEER MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2009
    1. Upgrading to Windows 7 from XP will take hours to complete. Back-up files beforehand by making back-up discs or store them onto an external Hard Drive. You can do a clean installation from there.
    2. Your *old* programs will not be deleted, they will be stored in a "windows.old" folder.
    3. I recommend you burn the disc through Nero and NOT by mounting because it will mess everything up during installation.

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Since when can we upgrade from xp to 7? I thought it wasn't possible? A clean install is necessary unless one dual boots

9. GAVINEER

GAVINEER MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2009
    Upgrading is possible to Windows 7 from XP. It has an enclosed "Upgrading from Windows XP?" guide in the retail package.

10. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Yes you can install seven without uninstalling XP, in another partition.

Yes windows 7 is better than XP and Vista, but you need to see if your machine meet the minimum requirements.

If you want to legally activate, go to a software house, buy a Windows 7 DVD, install and activate with the key printed in the cover:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Ok, it doesn't really totally upgrade as in it keeps programs, settings, and data. It ask's you to use Easy Transfer to keep settings and data offline but programs must be reinstalled so It's kinda a semi-upgrade....lol

12. GAVINEER

GAVINEER MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2009
    Upgrade or Clean installation can be either selected during installation. Upgrading is pointless since compatibility issues may occur.

Clean installation is the way to go.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    All I was saying was that xp to 7 isn't really an upgrade since you don't keep installed programs. I recommend clean also but this guy was asking about upgrade