I want to shrink my install.wim just a little

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryouga, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Currently 4.55 gig so need to get it down to 4.37

As it stands I have 64 bit Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate on 1 disc but only really use Premium but I like to have them there.

I also put drivers on each for my video card, wireless card, sound card and a xbox controller just so I dont have to use windows update and also directx9, and .net 4.5

I use wintoolkit to do this, but is there a simple way to compress the file just a little so it fits onto a single dvd?

Its not that I dont have dual layer discs its just that I find it a waste to keep doing this every few weeks

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I am guessing you want to fit it on a dvd-r.

Have you thought about ditching discs and using a 8 gig USB stick. Maybe even a USB3 one but remembering to add USB3 drivers to the boot.wim file.

Windows installs faster of a USB stick.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #3 PhaseDoubt, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    And therein lies the exact reason I stopped creating integrated installations. I got tired of redoing them all every patch Tuesday if not more often. Now I just go with the latest media refresh (obtained via a link provided by this forum) and after installation let Windows Update run to completion. After that, the user is ultimately responsible for updates and other programs.

If you just gotta do it, go with tnx's suggestion.

4. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I would find a pen drive far easier to lose than a dvd in a case.

Thinking about it, I dont mind removing a few drivers from the image to get the size down, offhand apart from wintoolkit there was another piece of software that was similar(not rt7 as that seems to add reg entries when installing and seems to be a slower install)

5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Re-export your wim. There is usually a little bloat left over after servicing. After re-exporting it, i bet it will shrink 10%. Use :

Do this for each index:
    Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:%wim% /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:%Export% /Compress:maximum

or this:
    %imagex% /compress maximum /export %~dp0w7MAIN.wim * %WimSource%