I want your opinion on this one, what would you have choose?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JaguarXJ12, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#1 JaguarXJ12, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
    I hope this is the right place to bring this up but here goes.

I want to ask you a question regarding of what you would have choose when it comes to picking one of these two OS for a gaming rig:

Windows 7 Professional x64 (Use it today and it’s ok)

Or

Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 with SP2 + (DirectX11) Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library KB971512 update (Consider it and it’s really tempting)

Yes I’m actually serious about this one folks, I used to run W2k3 Enterprise in the past rock solid but the lack of DirectX 10 and 11 made me drop it.

You may wonder, why not install Server 2008 R2 instead of Server 2008? Trust me I have my reasons for that.
    Of all programs I have, one isn’t working properly under R2, there is a plugin that won’t show up in the GUI despite even when it’s physically in the folder.
    Funny thing is that it works under Server 2008 and of course Windows 7.

You probably thinking right now, is this guy crazy or something?
    No not completely, no.

I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 x64 earlier this quarter and the Server 2008 x64 SP2 copy is from MSDN last year.

I have played games on Server 2008 before so I know its working, just wants your opinion about it and yes I know you have to make way more configuration tweaks and workarounds in Server but that’s piece of cake since I know it inside and out.

I consider performance, stability and security above anything else and I need a robust and reliable system that won’t fail on me.

Somehow I think Server 2008 have reached mature status and is a worthy adversary to Windows 7 which I also have used since RTM.

And my interest for Server OSes is somehow stronger then the regular releases.

This is a short specs list of the rig today:

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    8GB Kingston HyperX DDR2
    Q9650 Quad Core OC to 3.5GHZ

So my friends I ask you, which of these two would you have chosen as a Gaming OS and why?

Thanks for reading!

2. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#2 JaguarXJ12, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
    (OP)
    Hmm this can be rather interesting it seems.

So far:
    Windows 7 Professional 6 - Windows Server 2008 Standard 0

I have to see where this is going.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Windows 7 of course.. why use anything older than that?

4. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
  5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Why server 2008 and no 2008R2?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I'd also take win7, but I also think that plugin issue can be fixed in server R2

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You might in this case go right back to Vista, after all 2008 is the same kernel...
    Of course 7 Pro/Ult/Ent or 2008 R2 converted to workstation

sebus

8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#9 JaguarXJ12, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
    (OP)
    Hmm I don't think the results can be any more clearer here then it is today.
    You guys are right, Windows 7 Professional is the most logical and wisest choice here.

And you are also right about that I might as well choose Vista instead of Server 2008 because I sometimes try forget that the two share the same kernel ever since Vista SP1.

Well Windows 7 is what I'm using today so technically I don't have to do anything but I guess that Server 2008 disc might come in handy for an other project later on.

Thanks!

HUGE EDIT:
    Indeed it can, I finally figured this one out, the problem with the missing plugin is because of the lack of Bluetooth on Server 2008 R2 hence the Plugin that depends on it fails to show up.
    With a workaround from the win2008r2workstation site you can fix this Bluetooth issue.

Hence I'm in a state wether to choose Server 2008 R2 over Windows 7.
    I wonder if I get any performance boost at all from Server 2008 R2 when gaming, I mean there isn't really anything hardware wise I have to bog me down already.

Maybe I'm just chasing air here.

9. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    It's fun to play with these possibilities from time to time, but in the end, I think it's not worth the trouble. If anything, it was more interesting of an idea back when 2003 Server came out, since the 2003 Kernel was newer than XP's.

10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

You know what I think you're right here, there ain't gonna be any huge difference in this case as it was with XP vs Server 2003.

I usually turn off all the unneccesary stuff and eyecandy anyway and stops most of the unneccesary services along the way so in the end I pretty much got a "server version"

Starting to think about it, it sounds like a really bad idea.
    I have read several articels and benchmarks and they all say the same in the end, client is for home, server is for businesses.