I7 840QM in Dell inspiron 1464/1564/1764 so close yet so far away

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Aeny, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    After reading on the interwebz that the Dell Inspiron 1464/1564/1764 takes quads I got myself a 840QM, surprisingly this does NOT work. :( Power led comes on but screen and fan stays off. However, when crossflashing with the Studio 1558 BIOS the screen and fan DO come on, but the laptop freezes halfway through the POST (possibly because the Inspiron has a HM55 chipset and the 1558 a PM55 chipset if I recall correctly).

My quest is to get get this working correctly, I see 3 ways to do this.
    1. Get 1x64 bios below version A10, A10-A13 which are available from Dell do not work. < A10 nowhere to be found.
    2. Mod the 1x64 bios to accept quads.
    3. Mod the 1558 bios to accept the HM55 chipset.

Sadly I can't seem to do any of those and that's why I'm here, any help would be greatly appreciated. (I can attach WPH files for 1564 and 1558 when requested)

~Aeny

2. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    *bump*
    It seems 1558 and 1564 have completely different chipsets and that's why it freezes halfway through the post. The 1458 has kind of the same chipset but the bootblock seems to be at a different location so I'm not sure crossflashing that is okay, I got a crisis USB but I'm sure that won't work if the boot block is ruined, so does the position/length of this block matters?
    Also, it seems the 1564 is missing: Iioinit.ff, Uncore.PEI, VtdInit.ff. Perhaps if I can get those files in it wil magically work. But whenever I touch the BIOS I 'brick' it. Doesn't boot and auto recovers from crisis usb. The only mod I was succesfull in was upping the clocks of my dGPU by editing one of the option roms o_O
    ~Aeny

3. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    *BUMP*
    I'm sure this is not an easy problem to solve, I don't know if it's allowed on MDL to offer a small monetary reward to whoever can correct Dell's mistake of leaving out quad support in the BIOS. But if it is allowed then I will.
    On a side note, I heard whispers of bioses with HM55 support somehow not supporting ES/QS samples but I think that's BS.
    ~Aeny