Icons turning white / right click not working

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    This problem happens to me right after the installation of Stardock's Start8 or another app called StartIsBack

It could be those 2 apps or it could be something else I don't know.

The problem is, after a reboot, all of a sudden, the icons lose their image and they just become blank white files, if I right click on a file for example to Run As Administrator or anything else, the whole context menu doesn't appear and Explorer just freezes until I force restart

this happened to me in 8 diff. formats / fresh install I finally gave up and just reverted back to Windows 7

anyone faced this or knows how to fix this?

could it be those start menu replacement apps or perhaps some dodgy windows updates?

please help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. terrance

terrance MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2012
    Do you have Start8 and StarIsBack installed at the same time? If so that could be your issue, they are conflicting with each other, you only need to use one. Otherwise I would have to say Malware, I use StatIsBack with no issues at all on one system and Classic Shell on another with no issue, but have not tried Start8, heard bad things about it.

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    no man I wouldn't be that stupid to install 2 diff. shell modification apps. they were installed on different install of Windows 8 so its not even corrupt registry.

Things I usually do in Windows 8:

1- Disable Virtual Memory since I have 16 GB of RAM
    2- Disable Program Compatibility Assistant (don't need that crap)
    3- Disable Windows Defender

I have tried both NOD32 and Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 and with both of them installed (on separate occasions obviously) the problem occured

Do you guys do all the windows updates?

Do you install the Install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

Also, I am running 9200 which I downloaded from a link here because the download that Microsoft provided me was the UK version. R y'all running the same also?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #5 bk109, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    Vym,I hate to burst your bubble of Stardock hate,but the BS you keep spouting about Start8 causing stuff like black screens on startup or the OP's problem don't happen on a properly maintained and used Windows 8 install,therefore the problem isn't the app,but the installed drivers and/or additional apps installed by the user. On a related note, please stop whining about WMC,it's cute that you're clueless about its benefits,but until you get at least a couple of tuners... just stop talking about it.

@ian82
    The things you disabled in Win8 shouldn't have a bearing on your problem,ditto the hardware (I have several machines with similar hardware,though from MSI) - the only things I can think of that might be causing at least some of the problems you are hacktivation issues so I have to ask (sorry) - did you use a homebrew iso or a hacktivator to install Win 8 Pro

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    #6 ian82, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    (OP)
    Hey bro, no I used the ISO which I attained from the links on this site which was build 9200 of the US version.

Now I have downloaded the ISO straight from Microsoft and will give it another chance.

here are the drivers I am using, please give me any tips if you have some.
    thanks

• Intel Chipset Drivers 9.3.0.1025
    • Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 11.6.0.1030
    • Management Engine Interface 8.1.0.1252
    • GeForce Driver 314.07 (x64)
    • VIA Audio Driver 6.0.10.1200
    • Atheros AR9485 Driver 10.0.0.221
    • Atheros AR8151 LAN Driver 2.1.0.7
    • Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver 3.9.142.62248
    • Synaptics Touchpad Driver 16.2.11.7
    • Keyboard Device Filter Utility 1.0.0.5
    • ATK Package 1.0.0026
    • Atheros Bluetooth Driver 8.0.0.214
    • ASUS Virtual Camera Utility 1.0.28
    • ASUS Wireless Switch Utility 3.0.35
    • ASUS Fan Filter Checker 1.0.0001
    • ASUS USB Charger Plus 2.1.5
    • Power4Gear Hybrid Utility 2.0.4
    • ASUS Wireless Radio Control 1.0.0.1
    • ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology 2.01.0002

All these drivers are the latest ones found on the ASUS website...

I did steal some of them from other laptops but those ones I stole are like cross platform drivers such as the ASUS Virtual Camera Utility or the Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver

I must also mention that I disable Windows Defender and install either Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 or NOD32 and the problem occurred with both of them so I don't think it's my AV

6. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Ok this time, I did not install Dropbox or Acronis True Image 2013

let's see how this goes

7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    hmm, the problem didn't happen this time, i installed all my software minus dropbox and acronis true image

must be one of them that was the culprit...i am suspecting dropbox since it creates a right click shell menu to share files / folders with others

glad i finally got it sorted

8. =)(=

=)(= Guest

It's obvious that craponis was the cause.

:rolleyes:

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    you think it's Acronis True Image? Strange, I've been using it for years on Windows 7 never had this problem before...

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe it's sometimes time to realize that Windows 7 isn't Windows 8, isn't it?:eek:

There a lot changes which will come out after some use only! That said, there some apps which will nor work on Windows 8 as done on Windows 7!

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yep, same never had any problems with Acronis and have been using it since it first came out. Only gripe I do have is due to them adding more features over the years the size has become a lot larger.

12. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I was speaking with a friend who has Windows 7 Pro x64 installed and is using Acronis True Image 2013 and he has the exact Explorer freeze when he right clicks just like I did with Windows 8

It seems that I never had the problem before on Win 7 is because that I always used Acronis True Image 2011....

Acronis True Image 2013 seems to be the culprit....with the extra bloatware and additional context menus it adds.... people be warned