IDE Motherboard Won't detect SATA HDD with converter installed

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Case, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    Hi, I have an older Asus a7n8x-e motherboard on my computer. I accidentally bought a SATA HDD, not knowing that my computer was IDE compatible. Anyways, I bought a PATA to SATA converter and still nothing, not even any detection. I just installed a RAID controller, that didn't seem to do anything either.

Hellllp?

2. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    An update

If I connect an IDE power supply cable to the SATA HD (One of the four pronged cords) when there is also a similar power cable connected to my existing IDE Master, the SATA drive /is/ detected, but it makes itself automatically the master, overriding and not even showing the previous IDE drive.

In other words, if I simply connect the new sata drive to the power supply, it is detected as the sole hard drive as the master, ignoring the already connected drive.

3. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    Hm. No responses to this yet.

Either way, another update.

I switched my IDE drive to another setting, the SATA drive and IDe drive were recognized, actually got XP to load

Then Disk Management wouldn't recognize the SATA drive...and after a Western Digital Diagnostic test was ran, it claimed that there was a cable error (even though windows recognized the drive now)

4. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    The converter I have takes the SATA connector and makes it look identical to the back of an IDE drive (The power supply adapter included)

How can I verify that my MOBO accepts SATA? This was my main confusion as I have always had a SATA "Raid" Utility show up during startup, but was confused by what exactly a RAID Controller does.

Also, how to I set my HDD to SATA 150? If that option is in bios then by all means I haven't seen any options to do that.

5. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    Further Update

-I believe my bios is upgraded to the latest update
    -Western Digital's Diagnostic is giving me a "Cable Error" In the diagnostic sector
    -I changed the jumpers of the SATA drive to "1.5 gb PHY" with no change

...sigh. This is taking an insane amount of my time.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #7 911medic, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Weasel

Weasel MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2008
    It also seems like the board has a jumper to enable the sata-controller.
    Make sure that it is set correctly.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #9 911medic, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    So, what do I need to buy to connect my sata hdd to my sata ports?

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    SATA cables. They are very thin and usually come with motherboard or harddrive. I think a trip to the comp. store. Tell them you need the 7-pin sata cable and a power connector converter.From 4-pin to sata power.

Maybe some research on the subject though a search engine would benefit. :D:eek:

Just a little advice. In order to minimize wasted money, time, and possible damage to computer, you should know what you are buying and if your system supports it. Putting the wrong H/W on the board can definitely be a problem, having to use adapters (i.e. sata to ide) is NEVER a good idea. A little research or reading the manual could have saved you a ton if frustration.

-Just sayin:cool:

11. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    Well, 911medic, my jumper looks set up to allow SATA devices already.

Do I simply need to purchase a SATA cable and connect the sata port to my drive? (Also, will this require the use of my adapter still?)

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    No adapter. If it is a sata drive. it needs a sata cable. that is all. You will have to be sure to be able to plug in power.

These are not hard to figure..If you have 4-pin power connector, use this. If you have sata power connections on your drive..get an adapter.

To make things easy. Give me the type, size, model of your HD and I wil give you the info you need. If you were to take it to your local comp. store, they could also help you. I simply need more info on your setup..:D

13. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    The HD is a W10EACS (Western Digital) 1 Terrabyte Harddrive. Also, any clue as to what the jumper settings on it should be?

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  15. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    Hm. You know, I really don't think I have the "legacy power" shown on the diagram. I left my house, but I am pretty certain that area shown on the right is not on my model.

I bought my card totally OEM.

16. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It doesn't..Just get the adapter.it is cheap and works well.

17. Case

Case MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2008
    dear god. After getting the sata cables.. NOW xp is freezing during bootup at the SATAraid utility.

Basically, at SATAraid it immediately lists my drive and locks up.

18. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    #20 zort, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008