Idea on stopping Windows 10 auto update (using WSUS)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mic4126, Dec 15, 2015.

1. mic4126

mic4126 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2012
    #1 mic4126, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Windows 10 has built-in WSUS client.
    In theory, if we configured to only receive update from wsus server. We will not receive any update untill we manual approve them.
    (in my computer , it seem like that. i haven't receive any update about windows 10 after i configured wsus setting.)
    It can also allow you to select update more easily instead of using the xxxx trobleshooter.
    So is simulate a wsus server a possible way to stop auto update?
    Is it a good idea?:confused:

2. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    just set the windows update service to disabled and never get updated automatically again... so simple

3. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ....Just use WUMT,and forget...^^

4. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Right on the money with that one.

5. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    The actual problem is that we can't select the updates we would like to apply.

6. mic4126

mic4126 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2012
    then if you have a WSUS server, you can just stop receivng W10 update only and can still install office update

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You can with Mini Tools in my sig, hide what you don't want (stays hidden), install what you wish, very simple to use.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mcb

mcb MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2015
    #8 mcb, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    I have been doing this for years.
    Currently running server 2012r2 as WSUS server as a VM guest on my win10 pc (win10 comes with hyper-v).
    Advantages:
    - select with updates you want
    - updates don't get install before you approve them (so you wait as long as you want)
    - I have several pc's at home. Need to download only once from MS.
    (Saves a lot of time when reinstalling because no need to download them again)

In WSUS you can select for which products you want to see updates (meaning: windows 10, office, skype, ....)

Note: this setup doesn't work if you are running win10 home because of missing GPO. It only works on win10 pro or enterprise.

__
    Edit: As an additional bonus, I have every MS exe blocked in my (3rd party) firewall so don't have to worry about telemetry but stil receive updates.

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Maybe this package is missing or differ
    Microsoft-OneCore-UpdatePolicy-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.mum
    from Windows 10

if its missing from C:\Windows\servicing\Packages folder
    i believe its will make updates system works as Server

10. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am not an expert on these matters, and I am not trying to stir this matter. What I would like to know is, are there any cases where individuals have been prosecuted or punished based on the evidence that Microsoft collects?

What are the risks when Microsoft installs all this updates? I think it is widely accepted that all phone calls are already recorded and analysed. Surely the information gleaned from updates is trivial? If there are any data files containing private information, surely they can be encrypted or kept on a removable drive. Are you saying that all encryption does not have any security value? The only information I want to protect is my bank details and/or passwords.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    In that case step out of the digital life there is no garantee that your bank details are safe If they want they will lay hands on it just saying ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    You are quite right, but in the UK it is very difficult to step out of the digital life. Most bank branches are gone, or will be gone in a few years, replaced by automated systems. You cannot turn up at a call centre to sort out any problems. The point I am making, is the Information gleaned by Microsoft any more dangerous than all the other digital organisations?

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    In my Opininion MS is on gathering information on systems just as dangerous as other organisations. My point is if they want your credentials they will get it no mather what you do ! The only thing you can do is encrypth on high levels so it's much harder for them :tea:

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    WinAero Tweaker has a suggestion about disabling automatic reboot. I have applied the same thing for checking updates and it seems to be working.

Automatic check for updates is caused by the task, which recreates itself, even when it is deleted. I could use some feedback, if it is working?!

Disable Automatic Checking for updates, prevents autodownloading of updates, unless checked manually
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Scheduled Start"
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start"

Disable Reboot after Windows Updates are installed
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" "Reboot.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot"

15. ylx

ylx MDL Junior Member

Dec 14, 2014
    that's cool.
    Have you tested it?