Ideals or Tip's to Apply on Windows 10 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lobo11, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    After a fresh install, I like to use ShutUp10, restore Windows Photo Viewer, and run a powershell script to disable some of the pre-installed bloatware like candy crush, get office, get skype, etc.

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The requirements regarding simplicity, reversibility and leaving system components & services intact, agree with my beliefs.

So some of the first actions I’d recommend are:
    Switch over from Windows Defender to AVIRA
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer
    Install:
    7-Zip
    VLC media player
    SumatraPDF
    FreeFileSync

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    In my previous post I concentrated on essential programs. But really, there are some adjustments of high priority, and I only list some that are easily carried out thru settings and thus reversible, not requiring registry mods or tweaking tools.

Personalize Start tiles
    Pin functions and apps at various points
    Personalize Desktop with shortcuts
    Optimize visibility: screen resolution, cleartype, contrast
    Manage Privacy options: turn off what you don’t like
    Stop apps from starting with system, if not necessary

But my most important advice: Don’t uninstall system components, don’t disable services and don’t modify your system (thru registry mods or tools) before you get to know it well and can put it right. In fact, imho, none of these actions is of worthwhile use, despite claims to the opposite.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @lobo11 yep very good idea dude, congrats well I hope help as possible ok :)

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  8. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    The Windows Update Minitool in lobo11's signature above together with Windows Update MiniTool Integrator v1.0
    in my signature is a great alternative to the traditional WU interface.
    It gives you greater control over WU, like in Win7.

9. ruuu7

ruuu7 MDL Member

Mar 7, 2015
    #9 ruuu7, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
    Could you please share that script?!

Mail: """""""""""""

Would be much appreciated! ^^

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  11. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Here's what I do immediately after the installation of each new build (YMMV, depending programs installed and preferences):

1) Check sys restore and turn on if needed (I always have to turn this on as each new build resets the function)

2) Disable Prefetch Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters (because I have an SSD) accelerates write wear on the SSD without performance benefit

3) Turn off the superfetch service (also because I have an SSD) accelerates write wear on the SSD without performance benefit

4) Turn off disk defrag for drive c:\ (also because I have an SSD) accelerates write wear on the SSD without performance benefit

5) Have to change the size of all screen fonts to 11 from 9 via Advanced Display Properties. (Optional--this seems superior to using the % slider, which simply magnifies)

6) Reinstall Printer (Fixed--in 14316, no longer required as printer install is now carried forward!)

7) Change Default Programs (Fixed--older builds did not carry the default programs settings forward, but they move forward now and have been for sometime)

8)Cleanup C:\ to get rid of Windows.old and other temp installation files

9) SFC /scannow (elective) or you can use: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, if you want--optional

10) powercfg -h off (Elective, setting carried through in upgrades now, I disable hibernation as I use a desktop and it serves no function for me)

11) Reset Sound settings...reinstall Sound Blaster Cinema 2 if you use it (fixed--carries through to upgraded build--been fixed for quite sometime)

12) Reinstall Coolsoft Virtual MidiSytnth if you use it (as midi setting not carried through with new build upgrade--very easy and quick) Program is a must-have if you enjoy midi in older games

That's it--takes about three minutes or less, each new build, unless I use scannow or DISM, which takes a few minutes longer.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I've just remembered of this easy setting that can save a lot of annoyance to single users.

Logon automatically
    If you’re the only user, or trust other users, you don’t want to have to enter a password each time.
    In Run or Search, type
    netplwiz
    to access the facility.
    Untick the box ‘Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer’. Select your account before clicking ‘Apply’, and enter your password as asked. Click OK.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm any Windows O.S. since times of M$-DOS ever have several tweaks to achieve best results for performance, usability, so Windows 10 is not different for those that have knowledge and search on M$ Tech Net there have tons of good info's still peoples take care for no use any recomendation of some websites that make "miracles" only teach wrong informations for noob users ;) for me ever the correct way is user need catch knowledge and good applications search here because MDL is highly confiable and have the best developers to help any people :g:

14. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    For a home network, if you want access the PC of an other member of your family, you have to apply the following registry fix :
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "LimitBlankPasswordUse"=dword:00000000
    (or you can use gpedit)

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    To begin with, this is mainly for beginners, Disable UAC, yes I know it is a big hassle, but what the real reasoning behind UAC is it will not let a program run on your computer you may pick up surfing,
    a box popup asking for your permission would appear first, peace of mind is not a bad thing, The rest I'd leave up to the individual, Thanks :D

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Strange how user opinions and requirements can differ. Out of Espionage’s list, UAC is actually the only one I’d like to restrict, if not remove altogether.

While its intended use is well meant, its practical application is only a PITA. And this because it doesn’t restrict to things you pick up wile surfing, but every time I try to use my AV or any other trusted program, it pops up to ask for permission, As a minimum, it should have the facility to whitelist trusted apps. Without such facility, it’s more nuisance than it’s worth.

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #19 Tiger-1, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    @Katz disable UAC is very simply via registry, but remember I'm not responsably for your action; so open Regedit look in HKLM\Software\Micro$oft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System in right panel search Dword Enable LUA change of 1 to 0 and restart :)

EDIT :eek: Unfortunately I forget warn users that making changes above to revert re-open regedit and on dword Enable LUA change value again from (0) to (1) and restart again ;) still avoid works with Regedit this tool is very dangerous and can crash Windows very easy so avoid your use principally who no have knowledge

18. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Ah sweet Tiger :). This is one of a bunch of reg files i want to use on a standard install, just to make 10 bearable enough to use out of the box. :worthy: