Identify XP license type installed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mc510, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mc510

mc510 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I need to reinstall XP on my dad's computer; how can I tell what type of license he is currently running? I suspect that it's OEM (single installation, not SLP), but would like to confirm before trying to reinstall. I'm having him pull the activation key with magic jelly bean; can I tell from that?

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Has it got a sticker on computer case?

For xp, just search on how to make a cd with xp for oem with your computer model. The guides are all on this site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mc510

mc510 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    thanks technoboots; that's exactly what I need!

4. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    No problem, glad to help out.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Ok if MGADiag tool tells yuo it is OEM SLP 1.0 hopfully you have original cd if not and it is OEM SLP install you will need to grab the oembios files or download them from here do search on forum for OEMBIOS.exe run that it will tel yuo waht OEMbios files you need or unpack archive i have posted and run those files it will grab your dads OEMBIOS files and also key.

Attached Files:

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    SP 3 OEM SLP professional....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. hunggathisa

hunggathisa MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    How to Tell What Type of Windows XP CD or License Key You Have

For the not-so-techie readers, not all Windows XP CDs and Licenses are the same. There are many different types of Windows XP CDs available:

* OEM – Which are usually sold with the computer
    * Retail – Brought stand alone in stores like BestBuy, CompUSA etc..
    * Upgrade – To upgrade from a previous operating system
    * Branded – Specifically branded copies from large computer manufacturers like Dell
    * Action pack – Was part of the Microsoft Action Pack
    * Volume License – Typically used in large businesses, government and educational institutions

The problem with different versions is the license key from one version typically wont work on another version. If you have a retail license key, it wont work on an OEM disk.

To make things worse, lots of people lose their Windows XP CD. However, they usually have their license key attached to the side of their computers. So how does a computer technician know which XP CD they should use for their clients license key?

JohnR from Technibbles forums has posted an excellent tip about how to visually determine the difference between Windows XP CDs.

How to determine what type of Windows XP CD you have:

The way to tell if any given disk is OEM or not is to look carefully at the words in the hologram. If it says “Only for distribution with a new PC” on the front of the disk, it’s an OEM copy. If it doesn’t say that, it’s Retail.

If it says “Upgrade”, It’s Retail. To use an upgrade disk you’ll need a valid disk from a lower version like 2000 or ME to put in when the installer prompts you for one.

If it is a branded CD (such as Dell or HP), its OEM.

8. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008

If it is OEM, Can I install it without limit(number of computer) example 2 or 10 Dell Laptops?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If it is a dell OEM cd yes on dell computers only.