Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WaltC, Oct 3, 2014.

1. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    #1 WaltC, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Okay--had a spare 8.1Prox64 box hanging around so I decided to just go head and do the Win10 TP Upgrade to see how that panned out. Panned out fine, actually--no problems that I could see.

Until...

I decided to use cpl Add New Features to key in my original Win8.x/8.1 product key for Windows Media Center. Key was immediately accepted and upgrade began and executed without a hitch, but when I rebooted...here's what my lower right-hand screen corner now reads...

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Evaluation Copy build 9841

...It *looks like* Media Center brought with it a few files from 8.1 that have confused Win10 just a little bit--seems I'm still running Win10 but with a few files that haven't yet been Win10-derized...! (OK, so sue me for the atrocious pun...!)

Any comments?

I'm thinking of just backing out of Media Center via P&F uninstall...but haven't decided yet. I did this on a whim as I really quit using WMC long ago as I find VLC better, frankly...

Edit: I've actually done both a clean install of Win10 and the 8.1 Pro upgrade install referenced above. Both worked fine, first time. I'm going to run some applications to test this because what I think I have is Win10TP with WMC, that is only slightly confused in terms of what it is...;)

Would sure appreciate a comment from some more learned folk (assuming they exist) as to what this minor quibble might be...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Great, man--Thanks!...;) (BTW, love the dog pic!)

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    WMC is running as TV app in background and does the job flawlessly here :cool2:.

When changing the background color (Personalization/Desktop Background) to white when using a dark/black wallpaper makes the watermark invisible :good3:.

5. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks so much...just a matter of a conflicting watermark, eh? No problemo....:D Will keep checking back and report if anything worthwhile should happen (Hah!...:))

6. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    #6 WaltC, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    (OP)
    Thought I'd wind this up with some info I gleaned today in case anyone might be curious...

If you installed the Win10 TP and then decided to use the "Add New Features" CPL gadget to install Windows 8 Pro Media Center with your original key, then you probably noticed the "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center" watermark taking the place of the "Windows Technical Preview" watermark. Although I could not see any other differences--well, except a few color shifts on some screens that were 8.1 instead of 10--little idiosyncrasies like that don't sit well with me...;) (After all, I might've inadvertently screwed up something else relative to the preview that isn't immediately apparent besides the watermark and the log-in/out screen colors...!)

Here's what reverted the whole thing back to a virgin Win10 TP install for me...

1) Open "Programs & Features" and select & run "Turn Windows features on or off"

2) Wait a sec for the program list to load and then navigate to the "Media Features" button and open it

3) You'll see "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center" as sub-selections, both will be checked to indicate they are installed

4)Clear the "Windows Media Center" checkbox and hit the "OK" button to uninstall the WMC version from 8.1 you installed earlier per your 8.1 WMC key

5) Reinstall the Win10 TP right on top of your current installation (just like an upgrade) and simply wait for it to complete

6) When the final install boot occurs you will see the correct watermark again and *all* traces of 8.1 preferences and files will have been eradicated...

**Note: If you simply decide to reinstall the Win10TP without first uninstalling the WMC as instructed above, it will not work, I found. The reinstall will appear to progress all the way through and at the very end you'll get a nice little error box informing you that you just wasted your time because for "some unknown reason" the upgrade was not able to complete and so your files will revert to the state they were in before you attempted to upgrade to Win10 TP the second time (ie, the "Windows 8.1 Pro with media center" watermark remains, etc.)

Strange, but true..:hummer: