Idiots guide?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by coolhandpuke, Oct 29, 2012.

1. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi guys, this is my first post to the forum, I have read and read and called microsoft and called sony and quite frankly im amazed I have any hair left!

Can someone help me or at least point me to an idiots guide for installing Windows Xp Profesional on a sony vaio laptop from the COA sticker on the bottom?

I have had to install a new hard drive and as with most cases I dont have the cd, so I have installed from an OEM ISO and install went fine, unfortunately when activating I am getting the invalid key nonsense!

Any help will be greatly appreciated (and let my hair grow back lol)

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Probably need to use telephone activation method

3. UVAIS

UVAIS MDL Expert

Mar 17, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    MrMagic, Already tried and failed.

UVAIS will work through that guide as best I can and report back, thanks for your replies fellas

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If you installed without initially entering a key during install, pick up the sony OEMBIOS files and use the changer. The key will be entered automagically..

To find out which OEMBIOS set to use, use the oembios.exe in the tools folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    #6 coolhandpuke, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    (OP)
    Ok so downloaded and freshly installed the windows xp pr service pack 3 from the repository thread, at install it asked for a key which i found on the internet (wouldnt take the COA byt the way).

So all installed, bios checked and confirmed that compatible with the sony package offered in the repos post, IOS.CAT is missing??

Stuck again grrr I hate MSenuine lol

***EDIT*** Tyoical noob mistake thinking the because i decompressed the files from the original zip that the files where decompressed, put the .bi_ etc. in the compressed older and run the right part and bingo, now to see if we get g

7. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    So it all worked out perfect and my sony vaio is now back up and genuine with windows xp pro!

You guys are legends!

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Wow, you installed & activated 11 years old OS, amazing...
    Reason to be proud!

EDIT
    Whatever you going to call me, believe me, I heard it all before

9. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    hahaha! no surprise there :D