IE 11 and Anniversary update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by genenioo, Aug 9, 2016.

1. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #1 genenioo, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    I know I probably shouldn't be, but I still use IE 11 as my primary browser. Since the Anniversary update I've been having some problems. These issues are mainly when using Yahoo and they don't seem to be there with other browsers or otherwise with Windows 10. First, suddenly the browser will just quit. All I can do is open up the task manager and close it from there and then reopen it. It also has a nasty habit of refreshing the page I'm on. Like I said, I'm otherwise pretty satisfied with the update and Windows 10 in general. Anyone having similar experiences or other insight into this? Thanks in advance!

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The main, indeed the only advantage of the IE, was supposed to be standard-setting compatibility with websites. You keep it in reserve, in case a site doesn't work with other browsers. So this kind of experience would deprive it of this last remaining bastion in defense of its use.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The truth is I gave up on IE about the time Windows 7 came out. The only time I used it prior to 7 was Windows Update in XP. I know people who like and use IE and refuse to use any other. That's fine ... it's their PC. But for me starting with 7 I have Firefox and Chrome. The times I've felt the need to use IE it's always been a pain, especially with ads and such. Firefox and Chrome have always been some much easier to secure and limit and/or stop "intrusive" ads and to deal with privacy considerations.

I don't feel there's any "shouldn't be" involved. Use what you like and trust.

4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I would say Yahoo is the problem.
    Their ajax bloated mail page is a far cry from what it once was.
    I sure miss the old days when it was twice as fast with good old HTML,
    These days it's mostly :aerobueke:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Yahoo has been circling the drain for a long time now and has ruined most of the hot web properties it bought. If its board had any sense they wouldn't have turned down MS' roughly 45 billion dollar bid.