IE synced Tabs, a pain in the Ass !

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dlhak, Sep 2, 2013.

1. dlhak

dlhak MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi, as some of you may have noticed, there is a new feature in IE11 "Synced Tabs" which keeps copies of opened tabs on your other windows 8.1 devices, but the bad side of it is that it considers every installation of windows 8.1 a new device, so if you install windows 4 times on your computer, you will have "Synced tabs" from your previous installations, showing you tabs from four computers even if you did not change the name of your pc, it will show the name of your pc four time instead (except if you did not log into your Microsoft account and did not go on IE11 on your previous installations)

I could not find the setting where we can remove these synced tabs, but I could find where to disable them completely (Settings-SkyDrive-Other settings-Web browser) but this will also disable synced favorites, home pages and history.

If anyone has an idea how to fix this, it will be welcome.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #2 Shenj, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I did not test this, i just run procmon while my VM was open and voila this is the result.

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabRoaming
    There you have a Value called "MachineId", i would assume if you set that the same on all 4 installs, it will not sync

There also is a Value that Overrides Syncing, not sure if it does what i think it should do..

DWORD "SyncOverride"

See if anything of that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dlhak

dlhak MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2013
    I tried adding the DWORD SyncOverride, restarted my computer but it did not work, the synced tabs are still here.

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. paulcam

paulcam MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2013
    Delete your browser history or delete all of the files under %localappdata%\Microsoft\internet explorer\tabroaming -- you'll need to restart any IE instances on other devices before they'll start syncing again.