IE won't stay as default browser

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by andykn, Mar 26, 2012.

1. andykn

andykn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, all updates. Every time I start IE it says it isn't the default browser. I've tried Tools > Options > Programs > Make default but every time I close that and reopen it says IE isn't the default browser. IE does open if I click a link in Windows explorer and I can make the message go away if I deselect "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default browser". However, the problem still exists and I can't use Quickbooks 2012 because it reports it can't see IE.

I've also tried deselecting IE 9 in Windows Components, uninstalling IE9 and using IE8, reinstalling IE9 and updates and all combinations of "Set your default programs" (IE reports it has all defaults) and "Set program access and computer defaults", both Microsoft and Custom.

64 bit IE Tools > Internet Options says IE is the default browser (but that IE 64 cannot be the default browser).

It's quite a new Dell Factory install that has had Google Chrome and Opera installed but removed. Opera was installed using the Symantec Workspace Virtualisation tool, but that's been removed now too.

How can I get IE to recognise it is the default browser?

2. andykn

andykn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    After ploughing through Process Monitor logs for an hour or so I gave up and have reinstalled Windows.

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    all good now? hopefully all is smooth for ya. Weird prob you had, could be some registry that got stubborn. Anyway, good job:D

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    IE hasn't been my default browser since I discovered Firefox v1.0 in 2004. You may consider your situation a problem; I wish I could figure out how to make what happened to you happen for me permanently.