IE10 on Windows 7 (RETIRED!)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by steven4554, Oct 18, 2012.

1. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #1 steven4554, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    IE10 on Windows 7

Please upgrade to any builds of Microsoft Edge Chromium by clicking on the link in my signature below!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    No IE bashing intended, what is the _REAL_ benefit of IE10?

3. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
  4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
  5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Same, I use Chrome as my default browser but it is good to know MS aren't leaving Windows 7 users with IE9.

6. billgates-suck

billgates-suck MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    And who the hell in this forum still using IE? :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    With your chosen nick you programmed your own answer. ;)

I am using IE from my office machine, and so are thousands in this company.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #8 PhaseDoubt, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    22,000+ employees of my former company did likewise. But we were forced to use IE since we, as a company, were partnered with Microsoft. Corporate/company situations have little or no relevance to an individual's personal choices for their personal computers.

I just updated to Firefox 16.0.1 and regardless of how "superior" IE is, the add-ons available for FF make it the browser of choice for me. There are others reasons, but the add-ons are my primary interest. If IE ever makes available add-ons comparable to what's available for FF, coincident with their ease of installation/uninstallation I might reconsider it. So far, with respect to the add-ons, FF is superior to me.

9. Pendaws

Pendaws MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    I am still using Firefox. I have the current build of 16.01 and I like it.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No competition Firefox and even before that Maxthon I,E, only used it out of sheer ignorance didn't have a choice years ago at a push if I need to use IE it is through a Firefox addin i,e I.E.tab :D

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    IE Tab is one of my five "must have" add-ons with the others being security and privacy types. I honestly feel most people use IE because it comes with the OS and they simply don't know of what's out there that's better. :)

12. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    The only other broswer i've used except for IE is FF, though i do help with testing the nightly releases sometimes.

13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I primarily use FF and Chrome at home and work, but also IE because of some specific usage considerations:
    1. Lotus Notes does not work properly on FF and Chrome (any solutions??)
    2. Some flash/java or sub menus load properly or faster in IE than FF at least (then I paste the address from FF to IE)
    3. Download manager in IE seems to me to be more reliable.

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I will use IE on that rare occasion there appears to be a problem with FF.

Every now and then I come across a website that requires IE, but they are getting fewer and fewer. On a few occasions I've come across websites who claim they will function with only IE; I see no reason for any site to be that restrictive so I avoid them. Some warn of not working properly with non IE browsers, or a non Windows OS for that matter, and I generally refuse to use them too. There are lots of alternatives out there and the world is catching on to the alternatives. I like choices.

Lotus Notes I've never used; my wife has and she strongly disliked it so we simply have never used it at home. We've used Outlook since Office 2003 came out and have been very happy with it. In fact I'm still using it; wife now has Office 2010. Our solution was to never use it or to just dump it. If we ever need it, I doubt we will, we both can run OneNote: me 2007 and wife 2010.

I've never had an operational problem with Java or Flash that I recall. Flash has a separate version for IE and FF and as far as I can tell they work fine. A single version of Java installs on all my Windows 7 machines and FF has a pair of Java plugins and they just work too as far as I can tell.

I have never been able to tell the difference between downloading on IE vs. FF. If one is slow or "broken" so is the other. That tells me it's a site problem and not a local one.

There may well be good reason to use IE, I've never denied that. But since I started using Firefox (at that time it was called Firebird) it just seemed to me it generally worked better than IE in many respects. As is the usual case, YMMV.

15. Ahmad Nawaz

Ahmad Nawaz MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    I Agree with you

16. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Capture.jpg
    The link is where is says "Download Preview"

17. Vantage

Vantage MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Yeah, I saw that. But I mean this:
    It's not uploaded yet