IE10 Unable To Download

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pookyface, Dec 10, 2012.

1. pookyface

pookyface MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    I been trying to download from various websites using IE10 without success. The advisory message states that it it is unable to download, when I click Retry it goes through the motions of downloading, but the file is damaged.
    I can download the same file(s) using Opera, Google and Firefox without any problem.
    My OS is Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with 16Gb RAM, other than downloading IE10 works perfectly.
    Ordinarily I don't use IE10, just curious as to what the problem is or if anyone else has the same glitch.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Is your IE10 set as default browser?

3. pookyface

pookyface MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Hello Paul, yes, IE10 Desktop is set as default, Choose How To Open Links is set Let Internet Explorer Decide, and Open Internet Explorer Files On Desktop is checked. In passing I should perhaps mention that I do not use IE10 Metro, ever!
    I have tried a few fixes which I found on various websites but none worked. There seems to be considerable interaction between Desktop and Metro, and adding additional browsers or setting them default may further complicate matters. Thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Final conclusion on this that there must be something wrong with your installation. You said you tried various fixes ??? whatever these fixes did but it seems that it became worse or was not cured.
    Did you try the scannow fix? perhaps your system files are damaged in any way

5. pookyface

pookyface MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Sorry for the delay getting back Paul, yes I tried sfc /scannow and I can report that IE10 is now working correctly.
    I'm forced to use IE on certain websites as they won't allow other browsers, and I was switching back and forth to
    Windows 7 machines with IE9 which was a bit of a pain, but happily all is now well.
    Thank you for your time and advice, much appreciated.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you're most welcome :D