IE11 Suggested Sites Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by compstuff, Nov 6, 2016.

1. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    #1 compstuff, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    I am at a complete loss to understand how to fix this problem... IE 11 on WIN7ENTx64... I took a base image and updated it with KUC offline and online in VirtualBox. I then sysprep'ed it and created an ISO. When I install the ISO everything is fine with one major exception. Every time I open IE it creates a new Suggested Sites in the favorites bar. I even tried to turn this off with my XML but that didn't work. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ie.PNG

2. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    I originally marked this as IE10 but it was a typo I am using IE11. Adding to my confusion is the fact that before I sysprep IE work just fine in the VBox, so I never have an indication that anything is wrong until after I sysprep and install a new machine using the image.

I am starting from scratch now and selectivity adding items to see if I can isolate anything.

3. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    Here's a brief update:

I took my WN7x64 ENT image and did a few things the same and few different. I also tested it halfway through my updating process to see if the problem existed. Explanation below:

1) I removed language themes with DISM (Always do this)
    2) I did a few basic tweaks and wallpapers with WinToolKit (Always do this)
    3) I added the following IE11 Pre-Req's required by KUC with DISM - KB2670838, kb3192403, kb3046480, kb3179573, kb3161949
    4) I used KUC to add IE11 and most required updates (no RDP, extras and no KB3177467)

Committed everything and created an ISO for VBox install.
    Tested it using a basic Autounattend.xml with ctrl-shft-F3 and a create username regular setup and IE worked fine
    Tested it using a my standard custom Autounattend.xml that requires no user intervention and IE worked fine

What I have not done so far:
    The rest of the KUC online updates
    My custom installation and setup work that I always add with WPI

I will do a complete KUC online update and report back with my findings

4. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    Man this is just so damn ridiculous!!!! So I basically took the image above and did an online update using KUC in Audit Mode. Did a sysprep using my standard copy profile XML and created an ISO. I installed the same ISO using the same XML file 3 times. 2 of the 3 times every time I delete Suggested Sites, close IE and re-open it the darn thing keeps reappearing. I did one install that worked perfectly and didn't exhibit that behavior at all. How the heck can I rationalize that and even try to fix such a thing. :mad: If I can just get it to not create and unending set of Suggested Sites buttons I will have to cut my losses cause this makes no sense. I really hate this stupid thing!!! :confused:

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why don't you just use simplix to offline upgrade the wim, it can add MSIE11 for you, next install it in audit mode, sysprep and capture it, etcetc...?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You must turn off Suggested Sites and here is the only method which working.
    - Go to start run (windows key + R) and type in gpedit.msc- OK - then => Local Computer Policy => User Configuration => Administrative Templates => Windows Components => Internet Explorer => Look for and double click "Turn on Suggested Sites" (it's not configured by default, which explains why it keeps coming back)- Click the "Disable" radio button => Apply --> Ok

:clap: And I think, that You are done. Was tested about a months ago, everything works..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    #7 E_B_M, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    I actually tried both of those... when I did the GP I had the multiple Suggested Sites like the pic in the first post... my XML didn't do anything at all its was still there. I will them both again later since my image is a new one. Thanks guys :)

9. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    #9 compstuff, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  10. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    I just tested this on the new image and it works. Now I need to test if I can get this configured to be the default user profile

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sure you can, if you take into account that the same thing can be done using the registry.

12. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    Any chance you know the entry? If not I will keep running some tests... Thanks

13. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    #13 compstuff, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    (OP)
    I did a RegMon while I applied the GP and found this entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Suggested Sites]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000

I added that in my image before I ran sysprep with a copy profile... running a test right now and will report back.

EDIT: Test completed and IT WORKED!!! That means I have something else that was conflicting in my original image work. Now I will test to create a true final image and see if I can find the problem and hopefully eliminate it. Thanks!!