ie9 Favorites-missing from pull down on browser & would like to have back

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leis, Apr 22, 2012.

1. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    My favorites are now kept in a Win. 7 folder under Users.
    How is it that I can't get favorites listed back under the favorites on the browser and the ones I used to have are all in that folder, but opening folder to then open or click on favorites for specific websites isn't the likely way to have to do it, but then again, there's a lot of dumb things that seem to take on a whole new process.:(

Well, aside of that irritant, thanks for anybody that may clairfy this as I've been looking through numerous threads outside of here and all have the same kind of bubbly easy answer on where to find favorites in windows 7 and/or how to import export them from one browser to other, but I'd like to export them from my windows folder under the Users/User name and back onto the ie9 favorites to make it that much more convenient to then click on one or whenever the need strikes to hit the favorite bookmark/url or whatever the .... and just get to that web page. I hope I clearly have laid it out what I'm trying to do and what an effort it has been to do it!

Further with having suffered through some other changes and freezes I don't want to think that IE9 has been a token of that problem due to favorites and every time I go to add a new one in what they remind that I have it already, yes, well....going to that folder to find out if that's correct is one pain too much.

PLEASE do not respond with suggestives as using Chrome, Firefox (especially forget that, after it tripped me out and lost my genuine and on and on) and just sticking to the ie9 would be more for this thread, anyway, if even it is louzy.

Thanks for your time and understanding too :

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    My default location for IE9 Favorites is in a user folder an that's true for all six of Windows 7 computers we have. AFIK that's default for all IE9 and Windows 7 installations.

That aside, are you saying you have no Favorites bar or are you saying you're missing "Favorites" on the Menu bar? If you're missing a certain bar, you may have deselected it. In that case it's there, it's just hidden.

On all our machines, all favorites are accessible by clicking either the Star icon on the Address bar or "Favorites" on the Menu bar. If a favorite is either deleted or added, both locations are affected.

It's just unclear to me exactly what's not working for you. From what you're saying I get the impression you just don't like the way IE9 and Windows 7 handles favorites. Personal preferences notwithstanding, I use Firefox.

3. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #3 leis, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    (OP)
    Hi, Thanks for answering my thread on this.
    Actually, I read up on the favorites on the browser and accordingly, it said on one of the windows 7 and IE9 sites, as far as using too many favorites or having them on the pull down from the browser, that it slows down the process of browsing(?). If that's the case, I'd rather keep them in the folder that they are in, as going to the run box or the search under Start key button, when typing in 'favorites' it takes me to the folder where they're located. As far as the star on the right upper corner, mine doesn't have the favorites there, only the new ones that I have put there since losing all the list that I had had before I had problems w/computer freezing up and I had to take care of that problem from (luckily this site's advise and finding out how to use the recovery discs, etc....). At any rate, I put new favorites on and now they're showing up. However, the old favorites that I either re-did and deleted from the folder as I was getting duplicative when I tried to add like, Craig's List, when it would indicate I have already that site on my favorites, and so, that's when I finally discovered, they're just in a folder, under the user's folder. So, I was kind of bothered that I didn't know how to 'export' or 'import' them from the folder and to show up under the favorites on the browser. If that clarifies it a little better (?) ;) If not, I can try something else, to take a snap shot of the browser and the folder where the original favorites I had (before they were either sent there or the browser for whatever reason, didn't have them once I got the computer running smoothly (again)).

And like I said, from that point, I have re-did the browser with the favorites (like before) by going in to delete some of them from the folder where they are now, under the user account or under User profile, I guess is the folder, and I have put under like 10 instead of the whole page that I had quite a few before. So, with that, perhaps it will help keep the browser running a little better or faster(?).

Thanks again*

leis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You're quite welcome.

When I add a favorite, it shows up in all the places a favorite is supposed to; same type thing for deletions. But then I don't tinker with where I want them as opposed to where Microsoft puts them. That's just not worth the effort.

As to import/export, I just click "File" then "Import and Export" and it just works. May be that way because I don't alter any favorites locations. So much easier to just let IE do what it wants to do from my perspective. I have no interest in messing with how Windows wants to handle favorites.