If I use O&O ShutUp 10, am I still safe?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    As the question says, if I use O&O Shut Up 10 to disable telemetry and all data logging, am I really safe now or is there a risk that Microsoft would report me let's say I downloaded a movie to see if I like it before buying it, can they report me for copyright theft or am I safe with O&O ShutUp 10?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    guess no one knows. best way would be to use it and then use wireshark to monitor your network and check for yourself. maybe also depends on the version you use... home, pro, enterprise or ltsb.
    but OO is probably one of the best/better tools out there. if you cannot disabled it with it, then other tools will not work too.

3. ifvrt12

ifvrt12 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    #3 ifvrt12, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    There is currently too much overhype and rumors about it. We should wait for a proper traffic analysis in order to make conclusions.

Some rumors say, if you search a movie on your disk, indexing file gets uploaded to MS. But the same article said, that the traffic is encrypted, thus, impossible to know what's uploaded. So it was most likely just yellow press crap, creating a hype without facts.

So if I was you, I would keep it in the "rumor" state and simply apply the most popular fix & download whatever I like. If you are unsure, weigh the risk. Does things like these happen in your country? If you're in Germany, or USA, I would wait for good traffic analysis, instead of believing some articles which try to overhype the "spying".

I posted these apps in another thread, they are from GitHub and seems like developers are working on them. I believe, private apps could be better, but as of now I didn't apply any of them.

Destroy-Windows-10-Spying
    github repo:
    /Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases

DisableWinTracking
    github repo:
    /10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks a lot bro, I was just about to format and install windows 7 before reading your message.

I live in Dubai so I guess I'm safe :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    downloading illegal stuff in germany isn't illegal. only sharing will get you in trouble. stay away from p2p streams and torrents and you are good to go... just saying. :)
    of course i would never download something!

im more worried about my private data and usage data which i don't want to share.

6. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    This is secured I analyze complete not send back info to servers.

7. ifvrt12

ifvrt12 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    Then I would stick to Win10 as of now. Unless, if traffic analysis shows that they actually do spy on you.

8. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Oh, they ARE spying on you - no doubt about that. The question is, what are they doing with the data being collected. Is it being stripped of personal identification and just used for statistical analysis - i.e. n% of users have the standard Win10 desktop wallpaper - or are they cataloguing it by HWID - i.e. such and such user is using this particular desktop wallpaper. If it is the latter, you're in trouble if yours is a portrait of Hitler or Osama Bin Laden. :rolleyes: (The wallpaper is just a stupid example - there is a lot of stuff being spied on. )

9. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Problem is - even if they don't spy on you actively right now, there is nothing stopping them from pushing an update next year that starts doing so.
    They have your permission, they can install any update whenever they like and they don't have to explain what is in the update. All of these things separately are not too bad, but combined together they are a nightmare.

10. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

It will be very interesting what the next major update resets and installs seems that the game of cat and mouse will be here to stay for a very long time.

I suggest get a good firewall for starters and set it to the highest level and toggle what you want that taps on the internet