illegal again

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zaiko, Mar 27, 2010.

1. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #1 zaiko, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    This morning start up problem again (second time in 2 weeks)

Used daz iso to recover and installed daz loader again. All works fine "again".
    Allthough when i start daz loader i have a red dot. Is that normal?
    Still I can't find any suspicious update from microsoft (no KB970133 on my PC).

My question is what should I do, remove WAT maybe or Re-install daz loader all the time?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Sig...

Why do you even bother installing the WAT update in the first place ?
    And why not do the obvious thing and uninstall it then revalidate ? :confused:

3. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    That's just what I'm telling you there is no WAT update ,how can I uninstall it then?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Ah hm, your sure bout that ?

Go to your windows folder and look for wat, maybe you validated on the website and not through windows update?

5. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    you mean just wat? No such file in my windows folder!

6. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  7. ennio

ennio Guest

Just to add, with hard modded BIOS you would not have to worry at all.

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ zaiko
    Have you tried the loader under the older or advanced mode? You may find one of the other modes better suites your system. You should also try to use a SLIC/certificate that best suites your systems brand.

@ ennio
    Not exactly true, BIOS mods can suffer as they can contain SLIC's that don't match a brand and can have a date on them such as 2006 which could possibly flag it as not genuine. It is however a more secure/permanent installation but thats about it, it has no other benefits.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ennio

ennio Guest

I never had that type of problems, not even with older motherboards and WAT installed. I think that users who had that kind of problems simply didn't do the "mod" properly. At the end, that is just me.

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    What I mean is most users download pre-made BIOS mods from forums such as this one. Some of the mods contain a SLIC which doesn't match the brand -- example being a Gigabyte motherboard with a Dell SLIC. While it may not cause problems for everyone right now down the line it certainly could and likely will. The BIOS date is also something everyone could have issues with as WAT logs all this information and it's something MS seem to be aware of and may likely start flagging in future WAT versions.

So what I'm saying here is switching to a BIOS mod does not mean you don't have to worry at all, you have to worry just as much as anyone else running an emulated SLIC via GRUB, a driver or anything else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ennio

ennio Guest

I really don't remember where , but I heard that MSI and Gigabyte are making motherboards for Dell, hence I don't think they will be able to flag those modds. I am guessing here, but the time will tell.

12. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Again though, BIOS date. Anything older than 2009 could pretty much get "not genuine" messages.

Between the date and data mismatch issues allot of people could get hit. Theres at least 2+ million PC's out there right now running WAT and sending MS plenty of information so that they can analyze and then make improvements to WAT based off that information. This is why I say nobody is safe enough to completely relax but then again theres no point in sitting around and worrying over things either.

13. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Of course MS analyzes the data. And I've thought about a method SLIC can't be interchanged (in next OS). I think MS will think about such things also. If I would think about and find such solutions MS will also do. So it will be a lot harder to genuine activate Windows in next version (Windows 8).

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I hope they don't call it windows 8. I like the name windows 7 but they should pick a name like Windows Sky or something...lol

Just to be more creative...lol

15. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Seriously - I don't think M$ can afford to have their staff doing such insignificant work as looking into the date or type of my motherboard.

If the figures on the numbers of windows computers are correct this pointless pursuit would cost them dearly for no return.

They know from years of WGA with XP that every release is patched almost as soon as it is released.

I think they make the minimum effort that still makes it look like they are serious.

They knew this OEM method was flawed when Vista came out YET they softened Vista's anti piracy and basically used the same method on 7 - I mean didn't they think someone would find the different SLIC table ???

If they were serious they would have devised some different SLP system for 7.

Any bets that Windows 8 won't contain SLIC 2.2 or some equally banal SLP system ?

16. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I agree with you Rosco, I don't think they will go to such extremes but then again we just don't know. It would however be silly for someone to say theres a method that is flawless in every way as the only true flawless method is to actually buy Windows 7.

Come Windows 8 I think they may ditch the SLIC system as it's still far too easy to bypass and gain a free copy of Windows via. MS said themselves that with Windows 8 they plan to change how people think about computing, while I'm not sure what that means for us users it could hint that they will be making changes to how you even run Windows.

17. ennio

ennio Guest

I agree, there is no point just to sit and worry, but I am sure that 7 will be safe with modded BIOS, since AndyP has great tool for modding the BIOS and I am sure that there will be a way to update his tool to change the date as well.
    Also, I will agree with Rosco.

18. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009

19. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010