I'm a computer newbie

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by tyleroo, Dec 29, 2015.

1. tyleroo

tyleroo MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2015
    #1 tyleroo, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    I feel like compared to most people here, I'm a total computer newbie (or rather noob, considering how long already I've been using computer and never even attempted to increase my knowledge about it).

Add to this, that I'm rather old and my mind is not so sharp already. Still, I love browsing this forum (just registered today), but I don't understand a lot of things. Do you think there's still hope for me? Will reading up this forum make me an expert in the field?

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I'm an advanced noob :eek: so your right on track, just have fun...

:shisha:

3. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    It really depends on how you view new things. Many people view learning anything new as stressful. It takes effort and patience, something of which many people lack, especially in this day and age of "I want it done yesterday" lol :p

I believe your never too old to learn - anything. Actually many studies suggest learning new things is greatly beneficial for those on the other side of 50 ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #4 3sidedcube, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Hi tyleroo and welcome to MDL

I have been here on MDL for a long time and when I joined I did not know half of what I know now thanks to the help of others here on MDL.
    Old dog's can learn new trick's so don't worry about your age here " no age discrimination here on MDL" :)
    learning may take month's or even year's but if you are interested enough in a subject or project then you will learn it. "learn on a need to know basis" is what I call it.
    I do hope that you find something of interest here. I do everyday.
    Best thing to do is get yourself a good test rig and just dive right in that way if you make a mistake "like we all do" you ill not mess up your main rig. best choice is a VM "Virtual machine"
    If you do not have a spear rig. rig aka PC.
    and as to your question "will it make me a master at it" everyone is a master of something whether it's basic php graphics game's you name it the field of computing is enormous and to say a master of it all is not going to happen :) you can be good at one maybe two or three but nobody can master it all. "anyone who say's they can are in denial. :) "

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Learning computing = sleepless nights and aggravation.
    This goes for anything we deem fit to learn, I believe.
    All things become new and return to nothing.
    What really matters other than finding joy in the little time we have here?
    :hug2: