I'm about to buy a new notebook TODAY - ACER or DELL?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spkleader, Nov 12, 2009.

1. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I'm about to buy a new notebook TODAY - ACER or DELL?

PLEASE PLEASE I NEED HELP
    It's for Windows 7... any advice?

2. apex666

apex666 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Dell ,That's it .Don't event think about buying an acer .Acer is crap

3. ennio

ennio Guest

Completely opposite. Dell is a bigger crap than Acer.

4. ShortOnMyDo

ShortOnMyDo MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 ShortOnMyDo, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    And I'm throwing another log on the fire....PackardBell LJ series (Acer) :) Great looking and good ATi Video!:p

5. bedrock

bedrock MDL Member

Nov 16, 2007
    My wife has dell, i have acer, my vote is for acer.

But i would wait until i7 is come down in price, then i will buy new laptop

6. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm in Brazil!
    The best processor I can find here is a P8600 \o/
    So, i7? LOL, not for the next two years

But thank you for all the adivices.. guess i'll go Acer. Inhell has a fast clock tough..
    1033 vs 800MHz :\

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    a Dell will run for many many years.
    Acer performs well, but Dell is more robust.
    So if you want durability, go for Dell.

8. jjtricket

jjtricket MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Its simple, look for the "bang for the buck" ie, the most features at the cheapest price.

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Acer........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

No, not with a laptop. Look for a quality brand FIRST, then compare features.

Again, Acer. As a side note, Acer used to make a laptop barebone system where you added HDD, video, proc, ram and add in cards (wireless). Was expensive to build but you could make one hell of a gaming laptop. I think that died due to few sales.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
  12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would say Acer dude. I had a dell that came with XP and I even had to install another completely different copy of XP Pro because the one that came with the computer kept making the computer get BSOD's. I know for a fact that it was the XP itself because that computer was never online and only had limited programs for banking so it was not a virus or anything. Another thing I would say is that Dells are made pretty cheap now and they seem to have hardware issues all the time. That is why I would say Acer over Dell. Personally I have a custom built computer with a Asus motherboard + Nvidia graphics card and I have no problems at all dude, that is just me though. :)

13. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I would also say acer. This because my packard bell laptop (acer) had a defect screen after almost 3 years, when i contacted packard bell they said i needed to send it to acer, acer fixed it for me without problems. Also i didnt have any proof anymore in what time i have bought it (lost the paper).

14. itman77

itman77 MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    my advice is: BOTH ARE NOT GOOD... GO TOSHIBA IS BETTER.

15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I have worked on lots of Toshiba's and all I can say is....... I have worked on LOTS of Toshiba's. They should have stuck to making toasters.

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    No one has mention HP so I will, I have worked on two HP's in the last week, both had dead DVD drives, one had lost the onboard sound. Look real nice but seem to be cheap. both were dv9000 series computers.

17. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    HP sux by design!
    I also had some bad experiences with HP, not to mention the low quality iron compound they're using to be "Eco-friendly". LOTs of Turions based models with all the lights on and no wifi nor screen!
    Avoid HP at all costs.

Oh, and to mention, I just bought Acer ;)

Now anyone can give me a link for a SLIC 2.1 bios for my new kid? Acer 5536-5224 \o/
    Thank you!

18. Beastmaster

Beastmaster MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    They are both crap imo............

19. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    This kind of question only starts a pissing match on whose a fanboy of what brand.
    We need an actual benchmark comparison of equally prices laptops from either (or more brands) to determine anything.

And even then some people like the "look and feel" of the actual hardware and not care to much about performance for a certain brand.

Even if you talk to technicians who work on laptops everyday they are always going to be biased.

I personally have seen some problems with the dc power jack breaking solder joints in some Inspiron models but have seen an equal amount of lcd backlight failures in Aspire models.

It is a crap shoot either way.
    Just get an extended warranty for the one you do choose if you feel some component may crap out.

Just my 3 cents

20. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I am a technician and I suggest Acer. Dell does not stand by their products, HP makes crap. Of the big names Acer is pretty hard to beat. As for being biased, yeah, I guess, after all I am the guy who gets to see dell customer support in action on a daily basis.