I'm conflicted: which shall I install - the Pro or the Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Wonder Woman, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Which version shall I install - the Pro or the Enterprise?

Both can't be activated right now. I assume that features that are locked until activation are the same in both versions.

But there are more features in the Enterprise version than the Pro's.

Shall I then install the Enterprise version?

2. prathaprabhumicrosoft

Jan 20, 2012
    When it comes to activation both are required genuine keys. I would suggest you to install Windows 8 Pro as i believe that you are Home User.

Cheers

3. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    I'd also say Pro. It sounds like you'd never use the additional features in Enterprise, Pro is a more widely available version of Windows and has better upgrade paths.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'd suggest to install pro. Pro can be activated through all channels by applying the right key, enterprise is VL only.
    Enterprise is primarily made for corporate use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I have read most of the other threads concerning the Pro and Enterprise versions.

Is it true that in a non-activated state, both versions have some features that are locked?

@Sheza

You might be wrong because I might install the Enterprise version as it has "Windows on the go" feature.

6. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    Well then, get Enterprise! :p

Both versions have similar non-activated restrictions. The restrictions are the same across the board - can't change display picture, can't change start screen wallpaper or colour scheme, can't change lock screen... I may have forgot some others Ones in red can't be changed at all, ones in black can be changed as there is a workaround.

7. pekingbuck

pekingbuck MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    I advice you to install Enterprise version, especially if you think you need "Windows to Go" feature. In my opinion "Windows to Go" is one of the few reasons to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 now, because it brings to Windows the same "live from USB" feature you have with Linux. Running a full OS from USB pendrive, without leaving traces on the desktop system, is quite handy for several reasons, from travelling to security and privacy. I hope that smart guys here will find some authentication method for Enterprise version too! Go with Pro just if you really need Windows Media Center (but I'm pretty sure you could find some equivalent or better program from third parties!).

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. prathaprabhumicrosoft

Jan 20, 2012
    If you are going to need Windows 8 Enterprise too then install both on a different partition.

Cheers

10. Mrx47

Mrx47 MDL Addicted

Apr 6, 2011
    How to Change lock Screen?

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If your a home user use Windows 8 Pro

12. =)(=

=)(= Guest

I wonder one thing. Will enterprise be easier to activate for those that will run Windows in UEFI mode. Since it is not so easy to activate UEFI version of Windows like with daz loader in BIOS mode i assume that it should be easy on Enterprise because it can be activated with KMS emulator and does not requre a modded bios with slic?

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I doubt it very much considering a lot of companies who will be using KMS activation on older computers without UEFI.

14. CATALINZX

CATALINZX MDL Junior Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Yay!! it works!:worthy:

15. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    That's good news, because some people reported it as not working xD

16. remzicavdar

remzicavdar MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2011

That's the only reason why I have installed Windows 8 Enterprise RTM yesterday, to use the Windows to Go feature, if this feature wan't present, I had stayed on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

17. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    All my USB flash drives are full and I cannot test right now, so could somebody please explain how is "Windows To Go" activation handled??

Do you have to reformat and recreate the USB flash drive every 180 days??