I'm doing something really stoopid... :)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Stilez, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Stilez

Stilez MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    So I'm trialling Office 2010 pro plus on Win7 x64. I have an x86 RTM version (14.0.4760.1000). I install from a file server onto a VM, then check MS Updates and see what updates I'm missing (ok, there are faster ways but...). Downloaded the x86 updates from MS catalog, they arrive as a bunch of folders containing CAB files. Winrar to expand the files, as expected a bunch of .MSP and .XML's. Take the .MSPs for the missing updates, place in the /Updates folder and trial install on VM again, to check how it works before using it on "live" systems or customizing.

Results:

1) Installer spends quite some time on "installing updates"
    2) When I check Help -> "Additional version and copyright info" or WIndows Update none of the updates I added to the folder seem to be installed.

Something Obvious Is Not Happening Like I Expected....... :) ? Why wouldn't this work?

2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    If I understand you want to customize the installation of your Office package.

Pretty cool when formatting several computers.

The most interesting thing would be you already own Office 2010 SP1 just need to integrate
    fewer updates.

You can try installing updates with this app:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...cial-KMS-Solution-for-Windows-and-Office-2010

Or

See this:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...6-x64-Retail-and-VL-EASY-guide-slipstream-SP1

Regards,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stilez

Stilez MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    #3 Stilez, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks for the quick answer and links, but these don't help answer the question. I know tools exist to make it easy. What I'm trying to understand is why what seems like it should work - download the appropriate updates via MS catalog, expand the .cab files it creates, then move all .msp's into the update folder - doesn't.

4. Stilez

Stilez MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    Suggestions?