I'm getting a Vista screen during boot in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by denlem, Sep 4, 2009.

1. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Did you do an upgrade on the one that shows vista screen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    #3 denlem, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    (OP)
    No upgrade, did a fresh install on all 3 computers. Partition deleted, create a new one and format.

4. muiz

muiz MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    The new sequence requires a native resolution higher than the 1024x600

5. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Probably for some reason at boot-up stage winload can't recognize that your video-card can support 1024x768 resolution...

Try these two commands in cmd window, launched as admin:

bcdedit /set GRAPHICSRESOLUTION=1024X768

or (and?)

bcdedit /set BOOTUX=Standard

6. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    It's a 50" TV with a resolution of 1280x720.

I guess I could hook up my PC monitor to it and see if it makes a difference.

7. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Not sure if that was directed towards me or muiz but I get this error

The element datatype specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry.

8. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Sorry, my mistake, should be spaces instead of =., this way:
    bcdedit /set GRAPHICSRESOLUTION 1024X768
    bcdedit /set BOOTUX Standard
    (case doesn't matter).

But, yes, if your TV/display doesn't support resolution 1024x768, you'll see only vista bootscreen at VGA (640x480).
    BTW, parameter BOOTUX can be set to values DISABLED (just black screen at boot), BASIC (Vista green bar) and STANDARD (new win7 bootscreen).

9. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Neither one of those worked. Must be the x720 part not being high enough. It's only a boot up visual and I'm not going to worry about it. It's been working flawlessly for a week now and not a single crash. I like it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a novice and far from an expert. I learned a little something new today!

10. Johnessen

Johnessen MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2007
    Do a startup repair from the installation dvd.It happened to me once I installed windows 7 from a multilanguage dvd but ready used an rtm dvd abd did only system startup repair and was fine.Try your luck maybe it helps you too