I'm Getting this Pop Up after I log in

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sandie C, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Sandie C

Sandie C MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    I'm not all that good at computers, as far as problems with them, etc. With that in mind, I am getting this message after I log in to my PC

The application was unable to start correctly (Oxc000009a) click ok to close the program.

I clicked ok, but am wondering what this is, and what to do about it, or just ignore it. Thanks for any help. Sandie

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    +1 for urie's comment.

Has this happened only once or is it a regular occurrence when you log in? If only once is everything now operating correctly? If it keeps happening, which of your programs is not working correctly? Your fix may be as simple as uninstalling/reinstalling the offending program.

If the program causing the problem is one you uninstalled, all you might need to do is scrub your registry ( I like Ccleaner) and/or take the program reference out of those that start automatically. You do that via msconfig or autoruns.exe.

4. Sandie C

Sandie C MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Great! Ccleaner (originally named "Crap Cleaner") is a pretty good program.

6. Sandie C

Sandie C MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    It did happen again, this time I noticed up top it said mcagent.exe I looked it up and found out it had to do with my McAfee av, which I don't like anyhow. I UNinstalled it, and installed MSE (someone told me about and it was free) it found one threat and removed it. I'm guessing this took care of my problem. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Thanks in advance.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Aug 21, 2012
    I stopped using McAfee years ago (use free Avast AV now) but I believe mcagent.exe is the process that runs in background to enable real time virus checking. Uninstalling McAfee should remove all processes, but that sometimes doesn't happen. I don't mean to harp on msconfig, and will stop after this, but if I were you I'd confirm (via msconfig) that mcagent is not still running. If it is, deselect it and run Ccleaner again to scrub your registry.

MSE is a good choice; installing it requires online validation I seem to recall but that was never a problem for me.

8. Sandie C

Sandie C MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    Well I took a drastic step, and did a factory image restore, so I could just have a clean start, as all kinds of weird things were happpening, I just followed the s teps from my Restore CD I made when I first got this pc, than I discovered that a free month of McAfee came with this when I first got it last year, so I cancelled it, and downloaded Avast instead. Now I have to add all my graphics programs back on. So far it seems fine, thanks for all your advice, I'm learning as I go along. Sandie

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Aug 21, 2012
    I feel your pain. :( Once you get the system tweaked as you like it, make a system image (or two) and keep it (them) in a secure place (or places). If you ever need to restore the image, you'll be right back to when the image was created. Obviously, you need to keep backups of data files since image restoration will replace all your user files if you use the default and keep them on C:. I create a new system image whenever I make significant system changes. Be sure you create the CD boot disk (the Repair Disk they call it I think) ... maybe a couple of them. But be aware, x64 and x86 repair disks are not the same per Microsoft.

I've restored system images many times on my "test" computer and the process has always worked flawlessly for me. An external USB HDD is a great place to store the image. So are non C: internal drives. Windows will warn you that storing an image on a partition other than C: on the primary system drive is a chancy thing at best.

Oh yeah ... backup, backup, backup.

10. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...