I'm Going crazy so I need help.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by richk, Nov 12, 2012.

1. richk

richk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    #1 richk, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    I have what I thought would be a simple problem. I need to send someone a tool to put the SLIC 2.1 marker into a Thinkpad BIOS. I have the files, and I can certainly make him a bootable USB stick, but I would rather send him a bootable CD. I thought this would be no problem. I have a DOS 6.2 bootable CD .iso file. I opened it with winiso and copied the 3 needed files. To make it easier, I replaced the autoexec.bat with one that would run setmark to set the marker. I burned a CD and tried to test it. I can boot from the CD, and it gives me an a: prompt, but the setmark does not run. More strange is the fact that the files I copied do not appear in the a: directory (I assume this is a memory disk). Even more strange than that is the fact that the autoexec.bat has a date in 2009 and doesn't have the changes I put in. If I move the CD to my desktop, it shows the data with all my changes and autoexec.bat is dated today. I decided there must be some other source if the data, so I pulled the hard drive out. I am booting on a machine with only memory and a DVD drive. Something is going on that I am missing

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Your CD has a bootable floppy image. You should be able to extract it and then edit with a tool like WinImage. Just be warned that you need to stay within the 1.44MB (or 2.88MB if the image is that size).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...