I'm so sorry for asking such a noob question chaps....

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by sadsack, Jun 14, 2011.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi all,

I don't get to do much bios modding, maybe 1 or 2 a year, and at my age things no longer stick..... But I just wondered, is there a tool/util that would tell me if a bios has already been modded.

I do remember some time ago asking about an acer 5536, and I have managed to find the mods on a backed up dvd, v104 and 1.11 to be precise, but I have absolutely no idea if I ever got round to doing the flashing.

So I don't relish the idea of having to reflash if I don't need to, hence the noob question concerning the tool request.

Would RW-Everything give me the answer to my question, and if so, what would I need to see, to know it's already been modded.

Thanks chaps for taking the time out to read this message, any replies would be much appreciated.

The best bit is, I remember giving the unit back to him ages ago, almost 12 hours later I got a call from him, telling me he had it balanced on top of some washing he was taking up two flight of wooden stairs.... As he reached the top, the washing wobbled and the acer fell down both flights of stairs, (and only the screen got smashed). and they say laptops aren't built to last. lol

ttfn

sadsack

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I must apologize for taking so long to reply urie, My hayfever tablets are quite strong, and I've not had a lot of sleep either. When the wife woke me, I thought it was 5 in the morning, but it was 8.30 in the evening.

Thank you for the Link, do you think it would be possible to run this from a live CD/DVD as there is no operation system on it at the moment, I have access to all live CD's from UBCD, to bartpe, and, many forms by digiwiz, and also Live USB of xp, vista, and win7.
    Actually scrub that, I'll put a quick install of win7 basic, test it and I can always "Diskpart Clean" it later.

Thanks again for the help urie,

sadsack

5. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    #5 sadsack, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    (OP)
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on this please,

View attachment 9753

View attachment 9754

As far as my knowledge goes (and it doesn't go that far) lol it looks like i never flashed this bios.... (would that be correct).

I did download from here some time ago two files one was called :

Acer_Aspire-5536_1.11_Acer_SLP21_SSv2.rar - 667kb

and the other was :
    ACER_Aspire-5536-5883-1.11-Acer[ACRSYSACRPRDCT-ANNI]2.1.BIN_SLIC21_ACER_SLP.exe - 1842kb

would either of these be okay to flash this laptop with, or has there been a newer version made available since i last got these.

The second one was dated 14-03-2010 (but this was probably when I d/l it).
    Could anyone please comment on whether they have used either of these and the outcome, as I have read a lot about "black screen" after flashing with acer's.

this one contains: Acer_Aspire-5536_1.11_Acer_SLP21_SSv2.rar - 667kb
    3 folders:
    Certificate
    in here there is :ACER-ACRSYS-2.1.XRM-MS

Extras
    in here there is :
    WINDOWS ACTIVATION AND XTRAS.txt
    Windows.7.OEM.SLP.Keys.URL.txt
    and another folder :How.to.Create.Bootable.USB.Flash

Modified Bios and Flash Utility
    in here there are 3 files/F.BAT JV50_111.WPH PH161700.EXE

and a txt file - Information About Your Bios.txt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    but in this one ACER_Aspire-5536-5883-1.11-Acer[ACRSYSACRPRDCT-ANNI]2.1.BIN_SLIC21_ACER_SLP.exe - 1842kb

there is:
    same 3 folders as above inc txt file about your bios
    but inside the "Modified Bios and Flash Utility" folder there is:
    DOS folder -------- inside here is: ACERACDC.EXE, JV50_111.ROM, JV50_111.WPH, JV50-PU_111_CRISDISK.zip, phlash16.exe
    Winflash32 folder ---- inside here is: ABVXD.VXD, flash.sys, JV50_111.EXE
    Winflash64 folder --- inside here is: flash64.sys, JV50_111.EXE, setting.ini
    BIOS.bat file

So I am in a small dilemma of which one to use, a small flash of inspiration would go a long way right know please chaps....

thanks for reading this, and any help would be very much appreciated...

ttfn
    sadsack

Just as a heads up, I attempted to test the second one through windows, ACER_Aspire-5536-5883-1.11-Acer[ACRSYSACRPRDCT-ANNI]2.1.BIN_SLIC21_ACER_SLP.exe, and ran the Bios.bat file, well, this worked to a certain degree but I was welcomed with an error code :
    as seen in the pic below:

flash.jpg

I take it that this would not work through dos either then?

6. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    It seems I found out what the error was caused by...... No Battery Inserted. I read somewhere that for prolonged use a laptop is better off with the battery pulled and just used off the mains, which is what I usually do, but after reading inside (I think it was the bat file) it said something about checking if there was enough battery power otherwise the flash will not work......
    So I replaced the battery and the mains, and this time It went though without a glitch....

Please see the images below and if someone could tell me if this is a finished job, (apart from adding the cert of course).

basic after flash
    basic after flash.jpg

advanced after flash
    advanced after flash.jpg

ideas and concerns always welcomed....

ttfn
    sadsack