Image Recovery after Formatting

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by iNcorruptible, Oct 4, 2009.

1. iNcorruptible

iNcorruptible MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Hey folks,

I hope any of you has experience in this matter.
    I have unfortunately quick formatted my HDD during the installation of Windows 7 and ended up losing all my picture albums for which I have no backup.

Does anyone have any experience in restoring images?
    I have tried software such as EASEUS and Stellar Phoenix but so far all I can recover are a bunch of files that I cannot open.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. SixKillerLV

SixKillerLV MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    #3 SixKillerLV, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. iNcorruptible

iNcorruptible MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks Ricksy,

As you said, the files were corrupt. I can't believe I couldn't recover just a few days after formatting!
    Now I'm holding a grudge against Win7 :(

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Better hold a grudge against YOURSELF

Few days after? Are you kidding? In that time you wrote tons of stuff over & over your pictures!
    If you spotted it instantly & never touched this drive again you had pretty good chance of recovery with right tools

sebus

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If you have waited 'a few days', and have overwritten the data, then there is no way you can get the data back. MAYBE part of it, but most of it will be corrupted. A good lesson to be learned here : when formatting a drive and you want your data back, do not touch it before trying to restore the data. Use another physical drive to install an os, and from there restore your data. You will have a good chance then to get it all back.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes far to late you could have used Partition Wizard to recover the partition if you hadn't written anything more to it. :(

7. nathan_s

nathan_s MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Even if it's been a few days it's worth a try, but chances that you'll get something in the state that will satisfy you are close to 0.

8. jamsbrown

jamsbrown MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Its true that after formatting the hard disk. you have put so many stuff on your hdd and so the chances of your photo recovery is very negligible.

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    photo's are one of the hardest things to recover after an accidental format due to the headers on them, and that if the CRC doesn't match then usually the file won't render.

If the files were on your system drive and you currently are using the drive there is very little chance for recovery.

The minute you formatted and realized you screwed up you should have pulled the drive and ran recovery software on it at that point in time. The more you write to a drive the more chances are the files are going to be non-recoverable.

10. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Try using R-Studio, he saved my life many times, even after months i reinstalled the pc.

He finds all the previous partitions and maybe you will be able to recover files too.

11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I don't think a program can recover overwritten data, recovery companies however can, but that'll cost $$$$$

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. cecelia

cecelia MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Its too bad that the photos got overwritten. There is also a possibility that the photos were fragmented by the filesystem to begin with. Try Adroit Photo Recovery, they come highly recommended and seem to work well on large hard drives and definitely recover fragmented pictures.
    Hope this helps!

13. Pooh the Pirate

Pooh the Pirate MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    When you formatted and then installed Win 7 you overwrote the marked free space so you will have a 1% chance of finding anything.