ImgBurn on Server 2016 Essentials

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by DeityLizard, Oct 31, 2017.

1. DeityLizard

DeityLizard MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi guys,

I've been testing Server 2016 Essentials on one of my spare computers. It is just a workstation running server 2016 Essentials. I DID NOT configure it as a domain controller or dhcp server.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the permissions I need to change in Server 2016 Essentials to get ImgBurn working in a standard user account. I keep getting the error: "You need Administrative privileges to use SPTI". When I right-click and run ImgBurn as adminstrator it works fine of course.

In Windows 10 Pro ImgBurn works perfectly in a standard user. I DON'T need to change any settings in the operating system and I DON'T have to run it as admin.

I looked all over the net and tried enabling and disabling every combination of the following settings, in Local Group Policy Editor on my Server 2016 Essentials computer, but none of them made a difference:

1. Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only (AllocateCDRoms)
    2. Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media (AllocateDASD)
    3. CD and DVD: Deny read access
    4. CD and DVD: Deny write access

Does anyone have any idea what is different in the default configuration of Windows 10 Pro vs Server 2016 Essentials that I need to change?

2. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    I seem to remember there's a way to run it as a service beforehand. Maybe it was an option during setup? Annoying issue..