Implement product key into bios MSDM table of VMware

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by triggat, Aug 4, 2013.

1. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
  2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #2 Humphrey, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Humphrey...how can I figure out the version of windows 8 to install? It won't ask me for a key...if its the right version I presume.
    I've already installed the Dell Oem Core Single language ISO (DVD) you guys posted in the forum in EFI boot mode and it requested a key....maybe I'm doing something wrong? I would surely like your help though Humphrey.

4. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #4 triggat, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    TL;DR - Basically, you cannot do what you're asking to do.

Windows 8 uses MSDM tables in the bios to house OEM keys for legitimate activation, seeing how your laptop came with Windows 7 preinstalled, then your laptop has SLIC tables only. Windows 7 uses OEM:SLP keys and Windows 8 used OEM:DM keys.

If you want Windows 8 OEM, get a Windows 8 OEM laptop.

IF (and I know you said you have a Windows 7 OEM laptop) you had a OEM laptop, all you would need to do is boot a untouched Windows 8 ISO (multiple edition - Core/Pro editions on ONE dvd) and it would automatically install the version your key is for. If you have a weird laptop, and need CoreSingleLanguage/CoreCountrySpecific then you will have to determine which one you need and then install that one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    But it has UEFI bios...so this doesn't guarantee that it can be done...is what you are saying.

7. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  8. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks man for clarifying that. But in terms of fast boots should there be any improvement over the old bios type? If I do the install in EFI Bios Mode.

9. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    You can still do it via KMS_VL!
    It isn't hard. Just install a VL ISO and run that batch in the file I linked in my 1st post as admin and bam, 180 days activated.

10. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    But in terms of fast boots should there be any improvement over the old bios type? If I do the install in EFI Bios Mode.

11. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I have uefi on my computer and I wouldn't say it is faster than bios but it could be. I do know that if secure boot is enabled that it will take a few extra seconds to boot.

12. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    If you want to keep your win7 and install win8 in same HDD, you could only install it in EFI mode. And a thing to note: many people complained of the issue that win8 always try to default to the EFI embedded key(which. in your case is a win7 key) and have activation problems. :p

If you do want to compare, you need your mobo supports CMS(legacy) mode, and a 2nd HDD plugged in, then you could install a EFI win8 in the win7 HDD, and another win8 in the 2nd HDD in BIOS mode. :p

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just a question, not 100% on Topic: Is it possible to use an OEM MSDM BIOS from an othet same branded Laptop and burn it in? Or is that original BIOS limited to that special Laptop only, maybe by Serial No.?

14. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    EFI is the method of booting, but it does not impact performance very much.
    No one could tell you for certain, because every motherboard would be different.
    Some could spend 5 minutes verifying files, and another could be near-instant.

In reality, it depends much more on the operating system installed and the OS options installed such as Windows 8's Fastboot (hybernation shutdown).
    I would guestimate from my limited experiences with EFI installs that it's roughly the same.
    It could be seconds faster or slower, but I didn't notice a difference on my system.

15. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Never seen or heard of Windows 8 trying to pull the Windows 7 key seeing how Windows 8 uses MSDM tables with embedded key and Windows 7 uses SLIC tables with an example quoted below.. Unless your saying on UEFI systems the key is embedded in there always in the MSDM tables no matter if its Windows 7 or Windows 8- which I have a UEFI computer but it isn't OEM and doesn't have MSDM tables.

Or you're talking about people trying to install a Windows 8 edition other than the key in their tables goes to.

Well I do not believe UEFI/BIOS updates are made specifically for each computer that is made. For example, two laptops, both identical, with older UEFI/BIOS installs, will grab the same file from the manufacture webpage and then install. So, I am sure that if the two laptops pretty much the same specs/hardware and the flash doesn't brick the laptop then it would work. Now for when you boot the OS it will either see that there has been a hardware change from M$ servers and then deactivate the key as has been said before. Not sure how M$ servers will respond to see two connections from different/but the same laptops

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The question is about the MSDM Table and OEM Key, not UEFI. As the activation of an newly installed OEM Windows 8 on Acer Laptop is working without Internet Connection, we tested that in the last week, I'm not sure that the activation will be checked over MS Server's at all. We had that Machine with dead HDD from an customer and place a new on, used the Acer Image of Windows 8 Core SL but didn't connected to the Internet the whole day. Activation was done on every start. That Laptop our customer had let fall down and it were broken in case and HDD, so no warranty any more. He was happy to get it back working the next day and we hat a bit of time for to testing.

That said, it's maybe possible that the machine connects to MS Activation Server while be on the Internet. For get that info, we would need to run an Sniffer and checking thousand of lines of Log-Text, there wasn't time for that. And my question was only may someone tested such as well already and know a bit more.

17. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Explain you questions with a bit more clarity.

AFAIK - there are no "bios's" with embedded OEM:DM keys, only computers that have UEFI have embedded keys for (OEM:DM) Windows 8... (Anyone that has a OEM windows 7 machine that has UEFI (Not BIOS) needs to check there acpi for MSDM tables, I do not think they will be found.)
    Also, Windows 8 checks activation against hardware hashes, IDK if the serial is logged.
    And what do you mean by burn? Flash the bios? Are you ripping one UEFI MSDM table to another laptop of the same make model? Why?

It may activate offline because it is a key matching OEM:DM edtion in the MSDM tables. But as yen posted, OA3.0 does check hardware hashes provided by the OEM to MS activation server.

18. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Is there problem with understanding an theoretical question?

Also my question were about Windows 8 and not 7!

And why that Acer Laptop still is running without problems and that since last week Monday? I just called our customer for to recheck!
    In the "old" days flashing a ROM (Read Only Memory) was called burning!

And again, I asked a theoretical question, nothing more! And I didn't told in any way or means that I do ripping anything! So that question is nonsense!

Sorry, it's not meaning any offence, just to clarify!