Import Mail from crashed drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nexel, Aug 13, 2010.

1. nexel

nexel MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi,

The Hard drive recently died on my laptop and would not boot. I was able to copy some of the data off it by booting from a Linux CD before sending it back to the manufacturer. I now have a new drive and Windows 7 installed.
    Is there a way to import my mail account details and address book from my backup?
    When I say backup I mean I just copied everything under USERS to a CD. I was not able to boot the system and do a proper backup.
    I have been able to import the messages ok, but they will not show without being linked to an account. I am unable to remember the account details and passwords so I cannot set them up manually.
    Also, Where is my contacts data stored and can I copy it to the new drive?

Thanks

Nex

2. nexel

nexel MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    BTW, im using Windows Live MAil

3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I'm not sure where they are stored, but probably in 1 of the user's data folders. Used to be you could find the message store, and copy it to a new user and all the folders and mail would be intact. However IDK about windows live. I refuse to have all my mail go through MS for their viewing discrepancies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...